[OT] No more curtilage rubbish collections in Rossendale, Lancs

Nope - it is an aside...

BTW - convention here is not to top post - ie it is preferred that replies follow the quoted text...

Reply to
Tim Watts

As was pointed out to me, Brian is blind and hence finds it much easier to top post.

Reply to
Huge

Oh - in that case, fairy-nuff

Reply to
Tim Watts

The orginal link has been broken by line wraps, try:

... can someone tell me what the effect will be for those of us with

The story doesn't touch on that at all, though it has been mentioned in this thread by someone else.

I doubt the suit who dreamt this scheme up ever thought that some people might not be able to move their rubbish to one of the collection points. After all everyone is physically fit, can drive and has a car ...

They will have to have some arrangement, I know how about a little dustcart that can get down narrow lanes. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

I can think of several roads that are not overly wide and potholed and are part of the public highway (the holes aren't big enough to merit filling, yet).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Live in Buckinghamshire and there are plenty of very narrow roads, plenty of potholes on the public highway.

Reply to
polygonum

I actually quite like the idea of providing "group" large bins at places on an estate. Difficult for existing estates, I suppose, because there isn't a natural place to put them, but on new builds it would be a good way to make provision, because it means you don't have to worry about "putting the bins out" - you just go and put your rubbish in the communal bin when your bin gets full, and it gets emptied as and when. It needn't look unsightly, either - it's common to use "Moloks", which are mostly buried underground.

can be emptied as and when they start to get full - no need for a specific weekly/two weekly/whatever rota.

As I'm away from home a lot due to work, this would be seriously convenient for me. At the moment, I pretty much always have to take stuff to the tip myself and can't make full use of the service I pay for.

I've lived in Switzerland and Germany, and in both places this seems to be the convention.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Neil Williams saying something like:

They could become a gathering place where neighbours swap stories of break-ins, parking problems, gardening tips and proffer tea from flasks. As time goes on some enterprising souls will set up a small cafe by the bins and make a modest living out of it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon