OT : Nice computer dear.

Apricot certainly - whilst the poor Amstrad had to do without a fruit 'n' nut name but instead made do with a picture of the Cadbury's variety on the cover of every issue of their main magazine.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Hey - a past Tangeriney! I didn't know that anyone else ever had one. Did you have trouble getting an ASCII keyboard out of them? Great fun though. I built a back plane and racking system for mine, and designed and built a 16k memory board. Got a job on the basis of the work I did on that little project.

Reply to
Peter Scott

I'm not sure whether it was a Tangerine or a Microtan or even if they were the same. One of them eurocard racks. It belonged to a neighbour and all I every did was draw pictures with a line-drawing program on a

5" TV used as a monitor.

Computers back then didn't seem very pointful.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The Dragon 32 was partially "compatible" (i.e. a rip off) with the Tandy

6809 based Colour Computer (CoCo). As a result the dragon would run a fir bit of the coco's software...

?st=1&c=117

Reply to
John Rumm

I must admit to not finding any references to it now, although I remember seeing the adds for them at the time in the early issues of PCW etc. Roughly about the same time as the rather outlandish looking DAI computers...

Reply to
John Rumm

Old age. I'm sure I once knew the CoCo abbreviation for the (expensive and not very good spec) Tandy. ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

One and the same. Tangerine was the company and Microtan the product. All in kit form. No, it wasn't very useful except to build and play around with. There wasn't even an assembler so you had to calculate program jumps! As for games - a strange shooting game which was *very* fast because it was handcoded assembler accessing the screen memory directly. I remember writing a word processor and even started to plan a disk patch for an 8" floppy I had acquired. That was never finished.

Reply to
Peter Scott

I can see the whole Spectrum.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Good site - thanks for that!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Where do they ply their trade?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Not as swish, but also quite good is:

John Rumm

It was a step up from all your input and output being printed on a teletype terminal (no monitor) and prohrams saved on punched tape!

I ignored the Dragon and Tandy and moved straight from a HEKTOR to an Amstrad CPC (then PCW) - though I used an Acorn BBC computer whenever I could get my hands on one. Next step after that was borrowing Acorn A3000s then purchasing an Acorn RiscPC.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Takes me back. I spent many happy hours playing with my Dragon. 40 chars per line, 50hz interlaced - how ever did we put up with it?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Compared to my ZX80 or VIC20 that was a luxury ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm