OT News Motzarella problems

I know this strictly speaking is OT, but I also know that there are users of this reader here. Motzarella is changing. this is the germain part of the email received: Dear users of Motzarella.org,

for technical reasons the Motzarella reader servers

news.motzarella.org, nntp.motzarella.org, reader.motzarella.org, reader80.motzarella.org and reader443.motzarella.org

will will be replaced by the following servers:

news.eternal-september.org reader80.eternal-september.org and reader443.eternal-september.org

on July 1, 2009.

In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, the

*.eternal-september.org servers are available as of today.

All accounts and passwords will remain valid, as well as all registered FQDNs in the motzarella.org and eternal-september.org domains.

Now I have tried .eternal-september but there are very few groups available, certainly not this one. Taking advice on the web I simply changed the server to the new name, it worked, but also (using Seamonkey)had strange problems as was suggested it may in their email. So I reverted to .mozilla.org that woks ok but all the posts are duplicated now. Anyone moved over ok?

Reply to
Broadback

Yes - moved to the new servers yesterday... Bit of a fiddle (using Thunderbird) - created a completely new account and downloaded my usual newsgroups - including this one.

If you can't see the usual range of newsgroups then you're not properly subscribed - in Thunderbird it's necessary to check the 'Always request authentication when connecting...' box

Once you connect you'll need to mark all the duplicated posts as 'read' (unless nostaligia is your thing ).

HTH

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Worked fine for me and yes, this group is there otherwise I wouldn't have seen your post!

I suggest you follow their instructions and create a new account rather than "Taking advice on the web I simply changed the server to the new name" as they explicitly say not to do that.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Calvin Sambrook wrote: SNIP

Many thanks to you both, sorted now with that good advice.

Reply to
Broadback

I had to fiddle a bit in 40tude, then remembered that my password was not the same as other places! I've used reader443 as that's the port I'm on (I changed to Motz because Tiscali blocks 119 in the evening). Reloaded all of the newsgroups and had the full list, subscribed to the same groups and when that worked moved over some kept, locked threads and deleted the old server and it's all OK now - and seems quicker than before.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , Broadback writes

You haven't configured your newsreader to supply the username and password you got when you signed up to Motzarella. You still need those to sign into Eternal-September.

Yes.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Took about 5 secs (Using RISC OS) (just changed the server name) but as the numberings have changed, then spent a few secs to make sure I *ONLY* downloaded the last x number of posts, to maintain the flow as it were

John

Reply to
JTM

Was it just me who got a huge dump of usernames on this email:

Your user name on Motzarella.org: abc Your user name on Motzarella.org: def123 Your user name on Motzarella.org: xyzxxy Your user name on Motzarella.org: bill1324242 Your user name on Motzarella.org: snipped-for-privacy@example.com

etc etc for 200KB?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Crikey - another RISC OS user. That's three in this thread. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, hundreds of them. I've kept the email but edited it down to the useful bit.

Reply to
PeterC

Common as muck. Don't think there are any other OS/2 Warp 3 users...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Theo Markettos writes

No, I got them too.

Just waiting for the inevitable "Is Motzarella down?" posts from those that didn't scroll to the bottom of the mail.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well, it did look like a spoof. I looked at a preview on the server and read the headers before downloading it. That list was totally unecessary and effectively hid the information.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , PeterC writes

It was finger trouble by the Motzarella admin. He's only human.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes, I suppose so. It's too easy to send out data without realising it.

Reply to
PeterC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian Brentnall saying something like:

In Agent you just 'sample headers in all groups' to the tune of 20 or so, then whole thing is updated. Else the bugger tries to download the entire history of Usenet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I do hope you all sent it back to him, the poor chap. :-)

Despite being a motz user I've never got a single email out of them (other than the initial sign-up ones) - they've not been spam-trapped either. Odd.

Reply to
Jules