OT: New radio - FM or Digital

It may not be dead 'flat', but it's definitely rapidly going down hill.

With freshly-charged rechargeables, on DAB, my Panasonic FM/DAB portable radio would barely last long enough for me to listen to an evening episode of The Archers. I believe that the user manual did actually warn you not to use rechargeables.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Too much of a faff. :-)

I'll enquire.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What could DAB stand for?

Dead And Buried

Dire Audio Bitrate

Reply to
Rob

In that case I'd suggest one of these:

and FM, with rechargeable battery.

SWMBO has the solar version:

uses it for R4 while doing the ironing and loves it to bits.

HTH

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

I have DAB in the car, and it offers far superior reception to FM around London. I also listen to a couple of stations which are exclusive to DAB, as far as car use goes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ISTR that is one of its design goals. Shame that you lose access to FM RDS services for TA flagged local traffic news as a result.

They really didn't think it through. I offer.

Digital Audio Bodge.

With traffic announcements it would be useful and poor bitrate would not matter at all in a car. But then neither does the FM noise floor.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

So use rechargeable batteries or get a mains power supply for it.

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, D-size rechargeables are most certainly available.

... or a little 110 volt transformer, lots are available.

Reply to
tinnews

Yes I know that but I'd be looking for Eneloop-type batteries - not the standard rechargeables that you charge up, but are then always flat when you go to use them.

Yes I have one to use with my Kodak projector what I also bought in the US of A. But oddly enough my bathroom lacks a power socket.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Trouble with these is that the controls are all down the front or side, specially that odd looking volume control which would be hard to turn with soapy hands. Although its ability to recharge its own batteries looks nice.

Looking at this:

at the moment.

Reply to
Tim Streater

=A0 London SW

1.2V per cell is the normal design limit. Some equipment will work on rechargables, some wont if it was designed for regular dry cells. As it's now a full generation since consumer rechargables were easily available, I'd expect that new wireless designs from large established manufacturers to have fully embraced rechargables.
Reply to
thirty-six

You can get D sized adapters for AA Eneloops, and other AA rechargables.

Reply to
John Weston

Yes. But the main reason for using physically larger batteries is for their much larger Ah capacity. Again Aldi/Lidl do sometimes have them in all sizes don't recall brandname but much better charge holding capacity than Duracell or Uniross (and cheaper too). I wish I had bought more of them at the time I first saw them.

Sticking a puny AA cell inside a plastic shell doesn't really help much if it is an application that needs a high capacity battery.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

There are other batteries that are similar to eneloops. I have some 4500 mAhr D cells from lidl that were pre-charged and don't self discharge any faster than eneloops. They were only £3 a pair.

Reply to
dennis

> DAB and FM, with rechargeable battery.

> She uses it for R4 while doing the ironing and loves it to bits. Does she need to replace the batteries occasionally? Will it work 100% on solar?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Other side of town from us unfortunately but I'll take a look.

My sediments entirely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Watch out online for their special offers. They only have them on blue moons and you can tell by the composition of the queue outside at 8am when something interesting is on offer. Some of their early Medions were surprisingly good price performance for instance.

You want the ones supplied precharged with very low self discharge. The last batch were in red casings. I wish I had bought more now.

They often have the normal ones too, but they are like all the others.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
Tim Streater

I bought a pocketful of the last Lidl lot of LSD AA and AAA batts. So far they've been fine, but it's too soon to tell yet. Give it another year or two and I'll let you know.

Reply to
grimly4

>>> DAB and FM, with rechargeable battery.

>>> She uses it for R4 while doing the ironing and loves it to bits. >

That radio comes supplied with 3 x AA rechargeables, but you can throw a switch inside the battery compartment and use 3 x AA non-rechargeables instead.

In the first case the batteries can be recharged from solar or the supplied wall wart. Bright summer sun can run the radio and recharge at the same time, but as the sun angle drops or cloud appears, it will stop recharging (although the radio will carry on working). Switching the radio off will increase the recharge current.

There's helpful LED on the front panel to let you know how it's doing: the brighter it is, the faster the recharge. With care SWMBO can go from March to September without needing the wall wart.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields