OT: New National Grid Exec Director looks to Smart Grid to balance renewables output

Not if you are washing wool.

--
bert

bert wrote:

For other reasons, I have vowed to never use the wool cycle on my machine again.
Andy Burns wrote:

Intrigued.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 01/09/2016 07:25, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Wool shrinks due to mechanical action not temp so any agitation causes shrinkage. YMMV depending on the knit of the fabric.
I occidentally put a hand knitted jumper in once and when it came out it was doll clothing sized rather than a 12. That was a 30C wash but the synthetics setting. Daughter was not pleased.
dennis@home wrote:

Sounds like that's why it uses something approaching a slow spin for the wool wash, it just gets forced through shallow water at the bottom of the drum each rotation, but doesn't agitate.
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:03:13 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I would expect most of us in this news group would do most things the occidental way (with the obvious exclusion of first generation oriental immigrants). :-)
--
Johnny B Good

dennis@home.?.invalid writes

Wool is not a synthetic.
--
bert

On 02/09/2016 16:18, bert wrote:

You have qualifications in the bleeding obvious as well as BS I see.
dennis@home.?.invalid writes

Subtlety is wasted on you.
--
bert

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Normal cycle alternates between rotating the drum slowly and pausing to tumble the wash, I use a cool synthetic was for most things and a hot cotton wash for towels, and never have a problem with the machine getting mould or smells or whatever.
I'd never used wool mode before, until I noticed non-iron shirts suggest being washed on wool mode, so I did. It turns out the wool cycle rotates drum very briskly non-stop, no doubt to "pin" the load against the drum and stop it stretching etc.
However the brisk rotation manages to dislodge *so* much fluff from between the inner and outer drum it absolutely coated the shirts ... I tried running several full or empty washes, boil wash, with or without washing machine cleaner and/or detergent, probably 10 washes in total and I could *not* stop the wool cycle from dislodging this fluff - hence I just won't use it again.
says...

I think that there was a mention of using batteries to store the excess energy produced whilst the wind blows.
I'd be interested to hear the technical argument justifying that one.
Steve
On 31/08/16 22:51, Steve B wrote:

Their might have been a mention. There certainly wouldn't have been a fully worked out costed plan showing it to be profitable safe and pragmatic.

Actually, you would find a 20 year old episode of Star Trek more convincing.

The suggestion was that people with solar panels on their roofs might also install storage batteries that would not only store excess solar power generated by the householder but also excess grid power when the wind was blowing strongly*, and feeding that power back to the grid when the wind wasn't blowing etc.
It has been discussed here recently.
These batteries would presumably be much like the Tesla Powerwall http://tinyurl.com/h7juart although at a miserable 6.4kWh that example is pretty useless for anything much. But Tesla are now offering a bigger battery for their cars, at 100kWh, http://tinyurl.com/zvb2byy so assume the Powerwall may eventually reach that capacity.
There are approximately 900,000 solar installations in the UK, although by no means all are domestic http://tinyurl.com/j7cypmt . Call it 1 million for simplicity and assume they're all domestic, and that all those installations have a 100kWh battery. That gives a total battery storage capacity of 100GWh. Assume the average UK grid consumption across the year is ~33GW. So these batteries would keep the UK's lights burning for ~3 hours on average, assuming no other sources of electricity. On a cold windless winter night grid consumption will be higher and they'd certainly all be flat by the morning.
But they'd possibly be useful for smoothing out the peaks and troughs caused by variable supply, along with load shedding, smart devices etc as discussed in this thread. But there would have to be a massive increase in numbers and/or battery capacity for them to act as primary grid storage.
Wind and solar are complimentary across the year. Solar is useless in winter but wind performs better, especially offshore. Wind drops a bit in summer, and solar picks up a bit. Capacity factors, aka load factors (why can't they just call it efficiency?) for 2015 as follows:         Q1 %    Q2 %    Q3 %    Q4 % Offshore wind    46.7    33.4    30.4    50.9 Solar        6.6    17.8    14.5    4.4
From http://tinyurl.com/hgre2bk Table 6.1 p.51
--

Chris

On 01/09/16 11:21, Chris Hogg wrote:

Wind: How nice your panels are looking today! Solar: Why thank you, your blades are as slim as a young boys penis.
LOL!
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.