OT: More e-bike fun

E-bike fire:

No wonder e-bike fires can take a house out. The battery in this one seemed to go off like a f****ng incendiary.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thy usually do. If they are going to go off at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's depressing that they can be imported from China with basically no battery management - no thermal management, no overtemperature shutoff. They may or may not disconnect the load if an anomaly is detected.

Worse, they just use barrel jacks for charging and dumb CC/CV chargers - if you try to charge a 24v pack with a 48v charger the plug will fit and it'll apply power, but may get sparkly once the battery goes over voltage (if the vendor didn't bother fitting a BMS or the BMS is dumb).

Plus as a consumer you basically just have Aliexpress grade batteries to choose from: there is no middle-market, good-but-safe brand you can buy. The proprietary e-bikes have proprietary batteries for sky high prices, but the rest there's no way for the consumer to know if they got a safe one or not.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No wonder that airport carpark never stood a chance. And these little things are just sparklers compared to the energy of an EV car battery!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, diesel burns very well.

Reply to
Fredxx

"In 2015, DiCostanzo learned his lesson the hard way. Pedego received six reports of the batteries catching fire; no injuries were reported. The company recalled 5,000 battery packs. Pedego found, he says, that its battery-pack supplier was not using a clean room to manufacture. A delicate membrane separates the anode and cathode on each battery, and DiCostanzo learned that “if you get just a speck of dust on that membrane during manufacturing, two or three years down the road, it can begin to corrode and cause that battery to catch fire,” he says, and “when one cell goes off, it starts igniting all the cells next to it, and it creates a fire that you can’t put out.”

"Now, he buys solely from Samsung and Panasonic, and has had no issues since."

And for this, you're "assuming it's not a fake cert". You can't really trust the labeling on imported stuff.

If your supplier is a domestic supplier, then they're likely to suffer from a legal case, if they cut too many corners.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It's really, really weird how for some posters a diesel fire simply has to be EV, because that suits their agenda. It's the same mentality as convinced some utter morons to storm Capitol Hill.

Reply to
GB

Some say "Never Let The Truth Get in the Way of a Good Story". I think we need to replace 'Good Story' with personal agenda, or possibly 'Closed Mind'?

The irony is I would have accepted if the fire was caused by an EV. But in this case it wasn't.

Next some here will be claiming the Twin Towers fell because of lithium batteries and not kerosene.

Reply to
Fredxx

Perhaps that was what comprised the demolition charges that were supposed to have been placed by some of the steel support beams :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I met a yank professor some years ago who insisted that the crack you heard at each floor level as the towers came down was a demolition charge rather than just the beams snapping.

Funny how they can't grasp that once the top structure started down due to weakened steel at 1000C, momentum alone would allow it to continue. And that as it fell, the falling stuff increased in weight by a floor's worth at a time (around 2500 tons IIRC).

Reply to
Tim Streater

While the collapse of the 2 WTC buildings is fairly well documented, the demise of Building 7 is less certain.

Fredxx

AS an engineer, I found the twin towers official explanation fully in accord with what structural engineering I studied and learnt, and I also find the lithium battery explanation unfortunately fully in accordance with my experience of those batteries in the RC world. There is a huge amount of money being made out of 'net zero' as well as climate change. and when huge amounts of money are in play, I disregard all official narratives.

They said thalidomide was safe, too.

And seroxat.

And kids were not being groomed by Pakistani gangs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is an even greater investment and money in fossil fuels. Some get taken in by that, in much the same way some said smoking was healthy for you.

Still used in some treatments.

Yes, it has the same side-effects as other antidepressants.

Feel free to cite the source of that one.

Reply to
Fredxx

That is behind a paywall. However, several years ago, I read a structural report of the failure of Building 7. IIRC, it concluded that changes made to the design during construction resulted in an incomplete steel framework and some columns carrying more than their design loads, even before the events of 9/11.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

But they care more about google indexing their content more than they care about you paying for it ... so if you google for the UUID of the article, then follow the link to the FT article from google, you bypass the paywall

Andy Burns

And some idiots tried to have its use banned totally - even when it was found to be a useful medication for some conditions in men.

Reply to
SteveW

And some in women too.

Fredxx

Yes, but there is at least an argument for not generally using it in women, while there is no such argument for non-use in men.

Reply to
SteveW

Don't forget that men can get pregnant, and the NHS believes it...

Reply to
Joe

Many years ago, my wife had the pleasure of explaining to indignant mothers why their (e.g.) 15 year old daughter's x-ray had to be scheduled during her period.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet