OT Mad old woman syndrome and bird flu

It must still exist - someone on Grey's Anatomy (it's a US TV program Mary) had it a couple of weeks back IIRC.

Reply to
Gully Foyle

In the year 2000, 70% of the world's code was COBOL.

I'm told it's down below 50% now.

I was coding state of the art COBOL for the financial industry up until about 1990 and got a nice batch of work in 1998-1999 fixing Y2K problems.

The Y2K bug never happened because a lot of people worked a lot of hours to ensure it didn't.

Reply to
Gully Foyle

And chicken pox is doing the rounds at the moment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only strange person I kiss is Spouse. In fact he's the only person I kiss, no-one else is good enough :-) He's protected from infection by his large beard.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite. But perhaps they haven't been mentioned in the press or on telly, which is where most people seem to get their 'intelligence'.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah. That would explain it then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it couldn't be fixed. This was the field length embedded in the file system. We had to apply a patch every year or so to move the 'window' where dates were interpreted as 'past' or 'future'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed. The mainmet heating consumer unit used in communal heating systems broke. T'was in the Manchester Evening news. :)

Reply to
mogga

Must be true then.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember dave saying something like:

Air rifle and good scope. Hours of endless fun.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon