OT: Kill-files

On 29/08/2018 18:50, Scott wrote:

I tend now to just hit the ignore thread option on the first post.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 29/08/2018 18:50, Scott wrote:

I use a bunch of filters rather than a kill file as such. Either kill select threads or sub threads, or in many cases simply mark some posts as "read" so my software naturally skips over them while jumping to the "next" article.
I usually manually kill politics threads since they crop up from a wider range of people including some worth reading on other topics.
One filter with a bunch of known trolls. Another to kill anything from anonymous re-mailers. Plus one to catch any posts I have made, highlight them and also mark the thread as "watched" (then I can very easily switch to "watched threads with unread" and easily see any replies that I may need to address - even when posted to threads from months ago.
--
Cheers,

John.
I use filtering of known idiots, I find though that the list grows ever longer and care must be taken not to accidentally block normal people who occasionally accidentally respond to trolls or boredom posters. Brian
--
----- --
On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 18:50:27 UTC+1, Scott wrote:

Nah can't be bothered I can work out which posts I want to read all by myself I don't need some algorithum telling me what to think or who is an idiot for any given subject.
In the mid 90s when I had a modem it made sense, in those days you'd select to just download the headers or just the subject title it was worth it then to save time.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 03:09:12 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

I particularly wondered about the ones that rhyme with sealer. At first, I thought they were a sophisticated algorithm ! Now I realise they are not.

I don't use a kill file, but don't read every post, either. I tend to 'mark read' the political threads once the first point has been made, and skim read other threads.
Posts I don't read are those unsnipped. I'm not scrolling down zillions of lines of quoted material even though there may be something worth reading right at the end.
--
Graeme

On 30/08/2018 13:26, Graeme wrote:

+1 I tend to give up on those very quickly.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 14:17:59 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

llions

you miss a lot of the good content then. Tell your newsreader to collapse q uoted lines.
NT
On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 06:32:18 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Pan does that by default - all I see is "quoted text muted".
Occasionally have to un-mute for answers mixed up in line with the text.
Cheers
Dave R

Experience on this group has shown that posts with 100s of lines of un-snipped quoting usually end in a insult or a two word reply. I don't think I miss anything.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Graeme wrote:

My newsreader jumps to the end with <Ctrl> <End>. Very handy.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

And without having to learn - remember and find the right keys / key combinations to do that and a lot more, so can my mouse. ;-)
Like, highlight all the quoted text above the few lines of reply and make it disappear as soon as I start typing. ;-)
Cheers, T i m