OT:Just how shite is Windows ?

2 hours trying (and failing) to connect my *Windows* (8.1) phone to my Windows (7) laptop.

Plugged it in, and after a few minutes it decided not to install properly. The MTP USB driver or something.

Googled ... gazillions of suggested "fixes", none of which has worked so far, but all of which involve a reboot. So that's 6 reboots so far, none of which has fixed the issue.

I bet the second I plug it into a Linux box - *any* Linux box - it'll be fine.

I wouldn't mind if I could only access it as a USB drive. Right now, nothing.

All I wanted to do was move some audio files around.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The only problem I'm having with my Nokia 520 on Windows 8.a and an XP box is getting the Outlook calendars and phonebooks to sync, and that's only because I don't want to transfer them to Google and I'm too tight to pay for an upgrade to Outlook 2013 and Exchange. It took all of 5 seconds to connect as a USB drive once I'd told the phone that's what I wanted to do.

Reply to
John Williamson

I don't need USB to sync, as it's a work phone and laptop, so goes through Exchange (flawlessly, it has to be said).

Having used SWMBO Android, I *much* prefer Windows Phone.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Have they set any policies to prevent you adding USB stuff? Its quite easy to do under windows if you want to stop user messing about.

Reply to
dennis

No, I'm local admin.

It's just a very common problem with lots of root causes. But inexcusable in a company like Microsoft which bashes Linux at every turn for it's lack of support.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh, and why in the name of all that's holy do I *need* to use a ****ing cable ? The phone has 3G, Bluetooth and WiFi.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you had a proper OS on your phone, you could just whack an SSH/SFTP server on it.

Does Windows Phone OS (whatever) not have a Windows Fileshare app?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yup. Plug in the hardware too early and it all gets screwed up.

Reply to
bert

Try MyPhoneExplorer:

It's free and it works for Android phones and 'SonyEricsson phone with modem interface' whatever that might be. Connects using USB, wi-fi or bluetooth and syncs calendar, contacts, files. It will also archive texts.

UPDATE:

after another 4 hours, and lost-count reboots, I trailed the various errors around, and suspect it's a deep-seated permissions issue, due to the fact this laptop is a work one, and uses a domain login, rather than a local one. Apparently there are some known "hidden features" in the Windows-7 security model where some components can't be installed with the correct permissions. Stuff all I can do about it, and since there's no work reason to connect the phone, I'll have to use my personal Windows

7 box - where it works flawlessly.

Thought I'd post that in case anyone else hits the same snag for the same reasons - leave it there !

Reply to
Jethro_uk