OT: it's not the volts that ...

I've actually got a small quantity of ammonium bifluoride (obtained in the late 60s for amateur radio purposes, to change the frequency of quartz crystals). It's in a polythene bottle, and I really must get around to disposing of it (probably in a weedy corner of the garden).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Ditto. Mine has liquefied over the years. I hope that you're joking! Ammonium bifluoride is extremely poisonous. Did a great job on the Xtals, though.

Reply to
Peter Able

This will show you the arrangement of some of the goods in the tunnel. I think mine, used 60kW RF (H-field) signals. I don't know what the field strength of the magnet was. You'd think it would be printed on the side of the machine, similar to printing "440 cubic inch" on the side of a muscle car :-)

An fMRI uses an even higher DC field strength, and can give ten times the fine tissue resolution. It allowed scientists to notice that a particular tissue layer had "pleats" in it, not visible on a regular MRI. These would be mainly for research.

And the equipment is positioned in bunkers in the bottom of the hospital so "what happens in the basement, stays in the basement".

Paul

Reply to
Paul