OT: Intermittent Broadband connection problem

wibbled on Tuesday 20 July 2010 08:43

That's you're problem.
I had to sit behind a guy at work who spent every tea break on the phone beating the living crap out of them until he found a decent provider...
--
Tim Watts

I can tell you that I know of some 20 people who live less than 5 miles from Cambridge city centre who'd pay a lot of money to get the VM service over the flaky sub 1 Meg ADSL they have to suffer now!..
--
Tony Sayer

On 20 Jul,

I've looked into changing. I'm on Virgin. I dn't like the sales side, and the very excessively priced phone[7]. However it has been very reliable, but on the odd occasions has been out, and CS is abominable unless you get UK or retentions.
However, at about 2 miles from the exchage the highest speed BT say I might be able to expect is 3Mbi. Generally I get 10Mbi oout of Virgin. I'll stay put unless it gets much worse.
[7] Skype gets round a lot of that problem.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

I hear what you're saying but my experience of other telecom companies hasn't exactly been inspiring and Virgin's broadband is good... when it works.
I think any choice in this area probably amounts to picking the best of a bad bunch and, depending on what criteria you use, one bunch of shysters edges ahead of another bunch of shysters.

The tech support centre refuse to talk to the engineers out on the job. The customer has to call them. At least that's what happened to my Father in law when a new installation didn't work.
MBQ
On 20 Jul,

Log into the cable modem (192.168.100.1, user name root, password root) and look at downstream receive power and s/n
Also upstream transmit power level.
mine is currently Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock :     Locked Upstream Channel ID : 4 Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz Upstream Modulation :     QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level :     38.5 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2 Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock :     Locked Downstream Channel Id :     1 Downstream Frequency :     403000000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate :     5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth: taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level: -8.2 dBmV Downstream SNR :     37.9 dB
Cable Modem Status Item         Status         Comments Acquire a Downstream Channel     403000000 Hz         Locked Connectivity State         OK      Operational Boot State      OK     Operational
Apologies for poor tabbing. If the figures are significantly different to mine report them to the droid. The "customer (dis-)service" peeps should have access to these figures, but osten don't seem to understand them.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thanks for the link.
Not sure whether the rest of the figures are significantly different although the Downstream Receive Power level is +3.7 dBmV as opposed to your -8.2 dBmV. Is that important?
Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 4 Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QPSK Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.5 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.7 dBmV Downstream SNR : 42.1 dB
Cable Modem Status Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 586750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
On 20 Jul,

That seems fine. The erlier (Terayon) modems were particularly critical of level. Yours is better than mine atm. and you have better s/n. Keep an eye on it if it goes wrong again. I think the level should be 0dBmV +-10dB (or it may have been +-5).
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thanks for the info.
I was warned by Virgin at the time they booked each appointment that, if I wasn't in when their chap turned up, I'd be charged 10. A few hours previous to the two previous appointments, Virgin made an automated call to check the appointment was still wanted. And then the engineer phoned five minutes before he arrived.
Today's appointment was booked for 4pm-7pm. By 4.15, there'd been no automated call, so I rang the cancellation dept to check they were definitely coming. Yup, he'll definitely be there.
It's now 7.02 and the bugger hasn't turned up. Nor has he phoned to say he isn't coming. Still, they're only a telecoms company in 21st century Britain --- getting in contact must be such an arduous task.
I've just phoned cancellations to be told that their system is down so they've no idea where the technicians are and they can't log into anyone's account. Give it half an hour and call them back.
Presumably, when they do get into my account, they'll be paying me 10 for their non-attendance. Yeah, right.
The shit customer service pioneered by ntl lives on under Branson.
saying:

Except Branson isn't involved in running VirginMedia. They merely licence the Virgin name. Virgin Group are only the third largest shareholder - just over 6%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Virgin_Media#Arrangements_with_Sir_Richard_Branson

Fair enough then. I'm sure he got well paid for attaching his name to a turd.
Anyway, the engineer turned up half an hour late, moved us back again from the front busbar to the back busbar (which he showed me had a higher signal), seemed quite stunned at the suggestion that they might possess time-domain reflectometers and diagnosed the fault as being network engineers playing round with an upstream box the previous day.
So the problem got written up as "working when checked", he gave me the address that snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net had previously provided, told me to take a screengrab of the info if it happened again and call him directly on his mobile.
So we'll wait and see if/when it happens again.
mike wrote:

'Fraid so. Getting in touch with a useful human neigh on impossible.
There was a useful service via newsgroups but since that worked too well, they shut it down earlier this year!
In article < snipped-for-privacy@u26g2000yqu.googlegroup

Its a shame they can't get their cust service where it ought be, but then again which Telco does?..
--
Tony Sayer

mike wrote:

My cable connection worked fine for several years, then a new gas main was laid cutting through the cable. Six months of constantly phoning No'effin Media to no effect. (typical sequence: 'no its not the modem, there is a hole in the ground with two broken cable ends" ... Send personn to test installation ... "you're wasting your time comming in here look at the road outside" ... four weeks pass, hole is filled in ... "We need to dig up the road, it will be <+4weeks> as we need permission from council" ... 4 weeks later ... "I had an appointment why havn't you done anything" ... Sorry we need to dig up road" ... ) If you cet to 'retentions' they speak real English and can be very helpful, but whatever solution is set up it then enters some order processing system that reduces the work ticket to some standard form which no longer addresses the problem. In the end I cancelled, and had to take them to the county court to get a refund of six months direct debits.
--
djc

Poke them repeatedly via twitter - and yes, you'll get the 10 quid credit off next months bill.
Done it a couple of times.
Key is to get beyond the useless first line support...
Darren

<Snip>
You might also ask in:- free.virginmedia.discussion.broadband - but specify the model of modem so you could get a specific reply possibly from someone with the same type. My modem is an old Motorola Surfboard SB4100 and has web pages available which give signal strength and logs.
--
Geo

Chuck that then, the small Blue ones are much better:)..
--
Tony Sayer