OT: inline power cable switch

I've an AV media box (Apple TV first gen) that has no 'off' mode - it just switches to standby and still consumes a fair bit of electricity (15wh, opposed to 30W max when on). Would it be OK to put one of these:

the power cord to isolate the mains (the socket's a bit out of reach).

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Does it really consume 15W in standby, does it stay warm?

Does it require an earth, the switch doesn't seem to support one.

Will the device get upset by you rudely switching it off, rather than shutting it down?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't see why not, but it may not have room for an earth; so OK in 2 core flex/

Reply to
newshound

switch it off at the plug and you'll know.

NT

Reply to
NT

Aye, put an inline lamp switch on the power cord at a convenient place. 30W is 1/6A.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If it does not mind then this is a job for a remote controlled socket. Switches are so last decade.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Very toasty.

Maybe, but it's just going to have to get over it. The household have been schooled in standby etiquette. The Mac OS doesn't actually have an 'off' - only standby.

Ah now there's another possibility, thanks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

But do check the power consumption of those. It certainly won't be zero, like switching something off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fair point. The only one I can see on line that actually gives a power consumption rating gives it at

Reply to
ARWadsworth

'Course the remote has to be on standy all the time ready for commands...

Reply to
Geo

Duh - ignore that - soon as posted saw you had already checked the consumption.

Reply to
Geo

Although I had not considered the consumption until Dave mentioned it:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't some turn on a standby light, thereby increasing consumption?

Reply to
Bob Eager