OT: Hunterston end of life...

"Hunterston B Reactor 3 - a 490 MWe advanced gas-cooled reactor (AGR) - was taken offline for the final time at midday on 26 November, marking the end of 46 years of operation. Its twin - Hunterston B Reactor 4 - is scheduled to shut down in January, which will see the end of power generation for the site in North Ayrshire, Scotland."

The Natural Philosopher

We at Windscale Labs corrected a gag valve problem that showed up first on a Hunterston AGR, all paid for by the South of Scotland Electricity Board.

Reply to
Sysadmin

Ah.

Wondering why the nuclear output dropped a bit.

Reply to
David

woo hoo

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

No more looking at the abortion from Millprt .....

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7518778,-4.9316651,3a,15y,146h,94.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC3C2xz-YFrTHaryc-rDt1A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I mean look what it did to this poor wee house .....

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7523912,-4.930544,3a,41y,341.72h,98.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw33QLgp4-aWJK1bsKw2uwg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Only the english could site such a thing there,,,,,

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

That white Seat doesn't seem to be showing a blue badge in its windscreen. Tut tut.

Reply to
Andrew

So what is it that makes it end of life exactly? Is it corrosion, damage to the materials due to radiation or inability to service some parts of it. Hardened robots should be able to do that soon I'd have thought. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Often wondered that myself. Maybe there are pumps that are on the hot side of the radioactivity that are end-of-life.

The steam turb> So what is it that makes it end of life exactly? Is it corrosion, damage to

Reply to
Andrew

Too many cracked bricks in the graphite core.

Reply to
Andy Burns

shocking

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

this is my understanding, also.

only the graphite is the show-stopper though

lets hope they keep the boilers turbines an generators ready for a RR SMR.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No good, wrong steam conditions! Could run them off conventional coal (or gas or oil) boilers though.

Reply to
newshound

I thought RR was at standard temps?

Hmm. it is more that the AGRS are superheaters...well the boilers and turbines might be NBG but generators should still work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was speaking to Dynamite John this afternoon and asked him if there would be a demolition, but he had no information.

Is the reactor likely to be demolished and will (can?) explosives be used?

Reply to
Scott