OT Heights

The shaking wakes him up before it gets to be a problem. Dextrose/Jaffa cakes by the bed. I think he's very lucky, the amount of warning he seems to get.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, it'll work. Theoretically glucose is faster, but the body converts sucrose to useful stuff pretty quickly. I'd probably skip the tea and just eat the sugar though :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Yup, that sounds pretty good. Sometimes I get that, but about once a year I don't. Glucagon works, but preparing it is a bit stressful.

Reply to
Clive George

The crane seen in the video is being taken down by the crane my company supplied and looks after.

See 3rd page "Raising the Shard over London" article

before you ask...........It's not me doing the disassembly of either as it's not my area. I'm South of Thames to Dover down the left of the M20 but having in previous lives changes gantry trolley bearings on 120ft tower cranes and pulley sheaves on ski lifts I don't find height a problem at all.

It's not the fall............it's that effin stop at the end that kills you

Reply to
Nthkentman

Reply to
brass monkey

Only three times the height (depth) of Gaping Gill. I expect I'll be doing "plank" duty again there in a couple of months time.

'm fine so long as I'm clipped in. Standing near an edge unsecured gives me a very uncomfortable feeling in the groin.

Alum pot: a 90 metre rope is just about long enough.

Jingling: about 43 metres deep.

Alan J. Wylie

Reply to
brass monkey

This is a fairly powerful waterfall:-

Frank Erskine

I would not mind trying it... but suspect I would get halfway and be to knackered to go much further!

(20' or 1000' the end result of a mistake is the same, only the time you get to contemplate it varies!)

Reply to
John Rumm

same impact with all the HiViz gear and everyone ties on with a safety harness though!

John Rumm

A cousin of mine used to be into potholing and climbing and various other similar activities, and he also has a bit of a reputation as someone who dives into things without giving them too much thought. He was living in a place with disused mine shaft in the garden. One day when I was staying with him, and when the women were out, we decided it might be fun to see what was at the bottom, so we got a 90' rope and lowered my camcorder down there with a bunch of caving lights bundled around it.

We also found that due to the enclosed nature of the shaft, any sound we made from the top was picked up very clearly by the mic on the camera even when a distance away. So we maintained a conversation as if he was dangling on the rope and I was lowering him on it.

Anyway, the wives returned and enquired what we had been up to... we said "not much", and "oh but I did lower Dave down the mine shaft on a rope!" They hoped we were joking, but given his rep, were not totally convinced it was in jest. Then we showed them the video! ;-))

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

15' onto softish ground. Broken collar bone, shoulder blade, numerous ribs and a collapsed lung.

The ambulance man kindly asked if I minded blues a twos!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How pleased do you think I was when someone else was sent to finish off those lights that were 10m high?

I was sent to sort out a S plan plus and UFH setup instead.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just out of further interest. Can you detect a hypo coming on and what sort of time window do you have, and if this is due to too much work (call that physical energy dissipated) then you should know I presume that you are shall we say "in for one", or do they happen on a more unpredictable basis or isn't it that well defined?..

Cheers..

Reply to
tony sayer

Why is that, the time or effort it takes?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not necessarily. The bloke who threw himself off a building I was working in must have fallen more than thirty feet. He made a dreadful mess of the pavement outside but eventually made a full recovery. (As an aside, I never understood why he did it from that building. He lived in a flat that was at least three times higher off the ground.)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The metalwork he is climbing on for the sections near the top looks fairly light weight. I was thinking that even if did hook a harness on then the jolt of a fall would bend them down and the carabiner clip just slide off making reliance on a harness useless, the last section of tube looks like a good jolt near the top could bend it over. And after a few years of corrosion those hand /footholds could get a bit suspect .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There's hypos and hypos. Hypo is just low blood sugar, so can be from feeling a bit less strong all the way to everything stopping working. Daytime ones, yes, I can feel them. When exercising are easiest - I notice things feel a bit harder than they should do, so eat. It's quite rare that they get as far as the feeling slightly pissed stage. It's also fairly predictable that I'm going to need to eat - I can do 90 minutes on a bike in an evening having started a little high, but much longer than that and I'll need refuelling.

Doing things out of the norm is also a good way for them to happen - so if I'm in the office (happens fairly rarely) I need to keep an eye on it, and since it's pretty sedentary work I get different warnings, and will often measure to be sure. (irritatingly feeling a bit tired can be too high or too low). My colleagues are now very used to me nibbling away in meetings. Similarly long distance travel - last sweaty hypo was in an airport waiting for a plane, just sitting around. Driving I'm very careful with - I'll err on the high side.

Alcohol can be bad news, and is probably related to most of my tongue biting. It masks the hypo symptoms, makes me more likely to sleep soundly, and raises blood sugar temporarily, so measuring when I go to bed isn't helpful.

Time window - not really sure. It can be a while between faintly vague and really having to do something about it - I think I've taken an hour before. But if it's properly low, < 2, I don't hang around as soon as I've noticed.

Recently I had the opposite problem - infections can raise blood sugar. I was eating hardly anything (no appetite), lying in bed or on a sofa, and taking 1.5-2x as much insulin as normal - ie a combination which would put me in a coma normally. Yet I was struggling to get my sugar down to single digits. Due to the amount I was injecting, I was testing quite a lot - I didn't trust it to not go wrong. Better now though :-)

Reply to
Clive George

There's a hairy man having a fit, making horrible noises, and you're worried he might not come back. You've got to inject the water into the vial, mix it up, suck it back into the syringe, then stab it in. Doing it at any normal time would be pretty easy, but when it's the real thing it becomes a lot harder.

Reply to
Clive George

Very large ones IIRC. We went well out of season and had to wait for an English speaking guide to come in, so we had our own, very personal guided tour, just two of us and the guide.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar