OT: Handyman Stats;

Some still do, until they are informed of the law and the absence of *any* get out clauses.

The travel time one catches some out if they forget to state where "base" is. Like wise the minimum break is between *personal* off/on duty times not that of the work unit as a whole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anyone who doesn't mention green gets mine on the basis that they are slightly less dishonest.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You are probably now in a position to work out what you are always 'out of'. Screwfix for me is the main stay of keeping out of local shopping.

If I'm running low on certain fittings or other stock materials then I make a note (on my phone) and when I get home I add them to my s/fix wish list. The jobs of the next few days are likely to use a certain materials e.g. a £20 extractor fan so I'll get that in with £30 quid of stuff from my 'wish' list. This take minutes of my non work time as opposed to significant chunks of my day at B&Q-it-all-a-base, or even Builder Depot.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Note that the Sfix site lets you display all your previous items ordered, ranked by the number of times you've ordered them. So it would be trivial to generate such a list, and then make a decision based on cost of items as to whether they are worth keeping in stock at home.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, Ed, but you're an experienced professional :-)

Everyone has to learn.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It would be much easier if I were confined to one trade. But I'm multitrade; plumbing, electrics, carpentry, building, tiling, decorating etc.

I audit the van once a week and as you suggest add stuff to a Screwfix list. That covers basics like fixings, screws, adhesives, silicone, plumbing fittings, electrical stuff - but most of the time I won't know what I need until I get to the job - and I have limited van space.

I rarely buy 'basics' in the sheds these days, I've got that pretty much sorted.

But I am getting paid most of the time when shopping - so its not really a problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agreed, but does anyone meet that criterion?

Reply to
djc

Probably the BNP. And possibly David Icke.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm still looking.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Even they have something to say on it.

No, he's on about alien invasion which is pretty much the same thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Scary though it is, they sem to make more sense the older I get - and the dafter guvmints get.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most of my small customers for plumbing bits have them sent direct to site.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Think it does include ParcelForce. Although why anyone would use them I'm not sure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"nightjar .me.uk>"

What's the height limit?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Because of all the parcel delivery services I've ever been the end user of, they're the only one who reliably deliver parcels?

Next best are Citylink. Worst of all; Business Post, who have never successfully delivered a parcel here and Amtrak, who claimed to have made 5 attempts to deliver a parcel, which given that my wife is retired and I work at home, was a lie. All the others fail miserably in one way or another.

Reply to
Huge

Complete reverse of my experience. They 'lost' two I sent, and one sent to me. The first two I know were correctly addressed and know there wasn't fraud etc by the recipient. And had a devil of a job getting compensation. The one to me came from an Ebay purchase so I've no proof as to who was at fault. Although most Ebayers simply cut and paste the address you give, and of course that is correct.

I've not had this problem with any other carrier - despite buying stuff from abroad.

Of course I'm in an 'easy' area to deliver to. Those who aren't may well have differing experiences.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Letter in the post from TNT this morning.

All prices up 4.1%, in accordance with the RPI. :-((

Our customers (NHS Hospitals) can't pay that. They ain't got it.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

We actually ask which courier suppliers intend to use, now. I won't buy stuff from vendors who intend to use Business Post or Amtrak.

We're very hard to find. (One parcel we did get, had a printout from Google Maps stuck to the outside!)

Reply to
Huge

As you listed, inconvenient locations, surly staff and add inconvenient opening hours. Round here its Jewson who have the surly staff but I haven't been in since Screwfix opened a counter almost directly opposite. hopefully Jewson will adapt or die. TP and a local independent, OTOH, are a joy to deal with.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I use Parcel Force several times a week, I've been let down only twice - about three years ago.

We have several deliveries a month from a mixture of these, we have no complaints, in fact the drivers are usually regulars and know us, they leave things in a secure place if we're not in.

I'd like to put in a plug for DHL. Recently we've sent largish parcels to Virginia, USA. The paperwork is done on-line and is very thorough and user friendly, the collecting driver was efficient (checked the contents and sealing) and friendly and came when we requested and the parcels were received the next day.

I can't fault that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher