OT: Handyman Stats;

The Sunderland one opened a few weeks ago, and from the start they've had in stock everything that I've wanted.

It is a bit Argosish though... :-(

... and for the first week or two they were giving away polo shirts... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Mmmmm.... free burger.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, you're confusing it with calling them suckers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Saturday delivery?

Reply to
Andy Hall

One would have to be insane to go anywhere near that "service"

Reply to
Andy Hall

Absolutely. He makes Uncle Joe Stalin look like a choirboy.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cash flow if you wanted it, although if your customers are paying on job completion, it's not that important.

More to the point, you can negotiate a range of discounts by product line or manufacturer and not need to have the conversation each time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Had a newsletter through the door peomoting the Leicester one and offering a 10% discount on the first order a couple of weeks ago, assume the branch is new.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Have you ever shopped in Argos? Did you enjoy it?

If you didn't, then this is just like that, only worse.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The method of operation is like argos (write the numbers of what you want on a bit of paper, hand it in, pay and then wait) but it's much better than argos IME. I've only experienced the Canterbury branch but...

Firstly, the people entering the number appear to be humans who have a grasp of what it is they are selling (handy when they are out of stock and can instantly recommend an alternative).

The place isn't full of push chairs and people buying huge gold hoop earings or those bloody gold clowns (wtf is it with those!). Given Dave is in the chatham area he will no doubt be well aware of the gold clown factor...

You get free tea and coffee while you wait (serve yourself, only instant so obviously but still)

They usually have most things in stock (after the inital opening months problems)

They have a decent burger van outside that does very good bacon and egg roll

They are on my way home from work and open late which is dead handy :)

So, *much* nicer than Argos in almost every way

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Made of spinal columns and eyeballs ;-)

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

s/despot/depot :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Argos is fine. Reserve over the net, pop in when I know it's quiet. Stick reservation number and credit card into machine, get receipt and ticket. Wait 5 minutes, get goods and leave.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That method, I suppose so. I really meant the one involving catalogues, silly little bits of paper and stubby pencils

Reply to
Andy Hall

I certainly don't. Bacon based comestible in the morning, dinner at about

7:30 if lucky.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Even that's not so bad while it's quiet.

But if you can reserve it on t' internet before you go ...

It's magic. :-)

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

May the Lord make us truly thankful....

Who me? Chav's - what are they :-)

Aha!

Good.

Now you are talking.

Will be for me too I hope.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I hope everyone has a break after 6 hours work or less. For once EU legislation makes sense. Of course it doesn't have to be the full hour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I reserve on the net & use the auto machines. I love the stubby pencils - I steal handfuls of them :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps it's the location of the Argos I use - on the odd occasion I do - which is some way away but with a convenient car park. And seems to be full of fat chavettes screaming on the phone or at assistants or their also screaming kids. Can really think what they be doing in Screwfix. I have used the Croydon one and it was pleasantly quiet - and they had everything I wanted. Took no longer than most wholesalers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)