OT:fridge/freezer woes pt.2

Is the compressor running all of the time? Don't mess with the PCB.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It could still be frost free. Our Bosch frost free fridge/freezer doesn't have a fan in the fridge compartment.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Then what blows the cold air around the fridge? Anyway, the OP fridge is too young to have the usual c*ck up that f/f develop. Or it should be. If you see this OP, does your fridge compartment get ice or water on the back of it? The back inside the fridge, not the outside of the fridge :-)

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I never thought f/f were so interesting!

The fridge does have a fan but its intended purpose is to remove smells I believe. Yes, small droplets of ice on the back.

Reply to
Grumps

The PCB I pulled from our dead Bosch did not have any adjustable pots. If the new one is the same, then I cannot imagine how it can be repaired.

Reply to
Grumps

It can't be repaired only replaced. These are knocked together for 5p each in Asian countries like Bradford, Hackney and Yorkshire.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

FWIW, it's an AEG OKO-SANTO SUPER SANTO (which sounds more Japanese than German) with 'fuzzy logic', whatever that is. It's got twin compressors, btw, and no, neither compressor runs continuously. Thanks for the advice on the pcb; saves me having even to think about getting into the guts!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Nothing. The entire rear panel of the fridge is the cooling surface and it's never ever needed defrosting in the many years we've had it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Uggg

Look in the local paper and ring some poor sod who does not have a call out charge. I suspect that with it having two compressors it is probably about 18 years old.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Then it is not a frost free fridge compartment. The rear panel has an evaporator plate behind it which gets very cold. You used to be able to see the plate. Modern times have decided to hide it. The rear panel will form ice which cools the fridge. The ice will melt, the water will drain into a "gutter" and flow through a hole. The water will drain into a pan on top of the compressor and evaporate due to the heat emitted from the compressor. Primitive, but it works.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Well that meets my understanding of "frost free". Frost never builds up in it, it never needs defrosting and it "just works".

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Where/when?

Nope! You're wrong. Ever heard that before?

Reply to
Grumps

You can still buy twin compressor units. Whilst I do appreciate constructive and informative commentary, and I don't want to upset the regular contributors here and seem unappreciative, I don't want to listen to your remarks any more. Thanks.

Reply to
Grumps

You won't get anymore.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I see. Stick your attitude and your fridge where the sun don't shine.

Reply to
Mr Pounder