[ot] Free srapping of cars

I see you're an optimist. The number of health and hazard issues in scrap cars are numerous, this sort of things is being tightened up fairly rapidly, and this will continue. It is reasonable for a mfr to ask what scrapping a car will cost by the time its a deadun, and the price might be high, and will more likely cost than pay. And since its a bit of a hard to predict one, they'll add on the high side to cover it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OTOH if they have to pick up the cost (or add it to the purchase price), they are motivated to make that cost as small as possible by avoiding (where possible) using materials which have to be handled carefully and by designing cars so that they can be 'taken apart'. The latter, of course, has the beneficial effect (to the purchasor) of making repairs easier and cheaper.

Franckly, this change to the system should have come 20 years ago

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Our local "Tidy Tip" is closed until August(!) for "refurbishment". The level of fly tipping has rocketed. There's a huge mound of mixed rubbish (several frigs, several TVs, several computers) just inside the gate of a nearbye field. We complained about it, but the local council says that it's private land and not their problem. Unfortunately, the field concerned has been subject to one of these "land banking" scams where it's been chopped up into 1/4 acre plots and sold to mugs who think they might get to sell it for building land in less than the lifetime of the Universe, so we've no idea who it belongs to.

I might just torch it one night. Or wait for the local hoodlumd to do so.

Reply to
Huge

No - it's a fact. An old car is worth approx 30 quid if you can get it to a yard. Less probably if it has to be uplifted.

They (scrapyards) are already required to remove all fluids - even from things like shock absorbers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)