OT - Fibre in Water Project

Not if you dont have one. And water is safer than gas

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

None, because fibre doesn't need repeaters.

20km to your nearest area code exchange
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BT FTTP do up to 20km including splitters without amplification

Monomode fibre itself can do a lot more

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although unleashed it can be just as destructive

Reply to
Mark Carver

Not in an under street main.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

GPON does use singlemode fibre.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, repeaters are fast becoming a problem for submarine systems not for land based systems.

Reply to
mechanic

Well there was a fairly dramatic failure in Hackney a few years back; but even so your general point stands.

Reply to
newshound

That's why 'itself' is in the sentence.

Bt doesn't push it to its limit. Obviously for e.g., undersea cables one wants minimum repeater count, so they use bigger lasers and more sensitive and expensive receivers. BT is using cheaper stuff with passive splitters that in themselves are lossy. Your home modem has a low power laser for cost reasons

They have dome their sums I am sure and arrived at the optimal topology for their network, and their limit of guaranteed performance is 20km. As was pointed out in an earlier thread, they puts the kibosh on most local exchanges - the fibre will go unamplified and passively split to a few larger ones, and whether one should call them 'exchanges' is moot..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

a gas explosion can take out a while building. unusual for a water main to do that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And water bills shoot up as water companies want a slice of the action.

Reply to
Andrew

Dial up water speed anyone? :-))

Reply to
SH

How would this fibre pass through valves?

Reply to
bert

Presumably using water-tight glands to let the fibres exit the pipe before the valve and re-enter after.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm sure they will bypass the large main isolation valves, with throttling arrangements so that the "water bypass" will not be significant. The "isolation valves" themselves will often leak, of course. I somehow doubt that "your" bit of fibre will come down your personal pipe from the water board stop tap in the street.

Reply to
newshound