OT: Falcon heavy rocket launch

And the answer to that question concerns me slightly as I understand the 3rd burn took the Roadster out into a bigger Lunar orbit than 'planned' and that may take it though an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter?

So, *if* it hits (or is hit) by an asteroid, who is to say it (or the asteroid) don't go off track and then who knows were it / they will go?

Maybe we will find out when the Roadster comes back and it's not the ~40M km away from us as originally planned? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But the end result is bloody good.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We're still using rockets?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

He's not so much exported the car as put it into a parking orbit.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

"Excuse me, Sir, where do you say this collision occurred? I can't find that on my AA atlas."

Reply to
Davey

Quite. I'm 'hoping' the Roadster would burn up in our atmosphere if it came back fast enough but what of the 5 km diameter asteroid it knocks off course ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

*laugh*
Reply to
Huge

ITYM Statutory Off Rocket Notice.

Reply to
dennis

Looks to me like JbG contributed to the "OT: Falcon heavy rocket launch" thread but renamed his post omitting the "OT:"

Reply to
Graham.

Different clients react differently, but for mine at least the lack of a "References" header may be more important.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

For me, many of Brian Gaff's replies start a new thread (Forte Agent)?

His first to Tim+ started a new thread prefixed 'Re: but when he replied to himself in the (my) second thread he didn't.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think Brian strips off "re:", "ot:" and other prefixes, can't remember the reason he does that now, but any client that threads based on subject, rather than references will see that as a different thread.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Are they? They seem to slot in underneath the followed up post ok. I'm using Pan 0.139 in Linux Mint 17.1. I know there has suddenly been a spate of later versions during the last year or so but I haven't seen any in the Linux Mint repositories which is why I'm sticking with the 'Devil I Know' for the time being.

The Subject is correctly named after the other follow ups unlike Brian Gaff's newsreader client which would get tripped up by over-writing the "OT: " prefix with "Re: ". Incidentally, I've just spotted another two examples of this with Davey's and Martin's retitled follow up posts upthread. I think this is a question better directed at Martin seeing as how he started the 2nd sub-thread chain that I've replied to. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It wasn't my news client that renamed the subject incorrectly, it was Martin's news client that replaced the "OT: " prefix with the "Re: " rather than prefixing his follow up with "Re: ".

My news client, as the subsequent 8 follow ups before, all correctly repeated the subject line which was already possessed of a "Re: " prefix (but now sans the "OT: " prefix which Martin's follow up had stripped out of the OP Subject line).

*NEXT!*
Reply to
Johnny B Good

See my previous *follow up* to Graham's follow up...

*NEXT!*...
Reply to
Johnny B Good

Not quite so fast ...

Subject lines aren't the mechanism proper for grouping messages into threads in a decent client, and yours seems to have stripped the references header in two of your replies yesterday (to Adrian Brentnall @ 19:02 and Martin Brown at 13:59) hence creating two new threads as far as most here are concerned.

Reply to
Andy Burns

FYI, I'm using Pan 0.141 and no one has mentioned any threading problems.

(I've been using it for about 9 months, I think)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Interestingly, my client shows a break in threading due to lack of reference headers, but links the subject line (despite the lack of [OT]) and connects the offending subthreads at the right chronological places in the main thread. I'm quite impressed.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Inter-planetary orbit.

The asteroid belt is, for this purpose, essentially empty. All of the probes that go to Jupiter and beyond have done so with no problems whatever.

If you can be arsed, look up this;

and read the section on Exploration.

Reply to
Tim Streater