OT exploding tins

12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard. (6th one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

Reply to
tim...

Presumably you don't mean exploding in the sense that there's a dull thud from the cupboard, and on investigation you find there's a tin split down one side. Were they fizzy drinks? Is the cupboard warm? Has some fermentation taken place? Do the tins look swollen? Not from your description, otherwise you'd be able to identify them immediately without having to heft them. So internal pressure seems unlikely. I assume that the tin has just slowly leaked; possibly a batch of tins with faulty seams. They weren't recovered from Scott's ill-fated Antartic expedition, were they?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Did you have some Gallium in the boot of your car before you scrapped it? If the tins had become contamiated with it the aluminium can will disintegrate slowly - first having micropores that the tin pressurized contents could seep through.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Or do your tins share the cupboard with some mercury - maybe spilled many years ago? That would have a similar effect to gallium and is perhaps more likely to be found in a cupboard.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Now that is a theory that I like! But, my recollection of exposed mercury is that over time it "skins over" with oxide. And well dispersed and non-obvious mercury would be in pretty small droplets, wouldn't it convert completely to oxide on the "years" timescale?

Are the failed tins all in contact with the floor, or do tins further up the stack fail? If the latter, I'd be going with Chris's theory about corrosion. I forget whether aluminium cans have an internal lacquer like genuine tin cans.

Reply to
newshound

A few years ago I found a tin of something in a cupboard, that was significantly swollen. I think it was a cooked meat product but can't now remember the details. As it was well within its use-by date, I contacted the mfr who sent a courier to collect it. The mfr replied that the tin had become punctured at some time and contents had got contaminated and started to go off. It was a simple pro-forma reply, because I'd already examined the tin carefully and there was no sign of damage, and anyway how did a punctured tin support sufficient internal pressure to cause it to swell up. I reckoned it hadn't been cooked properly in the autoclave. But as they sent me a few replacements, I didn't bother to take it any further.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I had a few individual tonic waters do that. Strange, I thought, not out of date, just leaked.

Reply to
TimW

Oh yeh, I drive around with a bag of it all the time

tim

Reply to
tim...

only if the cupboard manufacturer contaminated it thus in the factory

:-)

Reply to
tim...

ali

upright

Reply to
tim...

Nope, no split at all

Yup,

Opening what remains of the tin and the usual "pop" of gas comes out

what I can't understand here is why this gas isn't leaking out of whatever hole it was that the first 50% of the fluid leaked out of, leaving the tin limp and squishy

Not especially.

How can I possibly know?

Nope

Physically no different from the others, except that they are lighter

Still have the same solidity from the tin caused by them being full of gas

they don't seem to slowly leak

The pool of liquid occurs very quickly

so why isn't this obvious after the leak?

One thing is, they are a few months out of date, but it's ridiculous to suggest that moulded tins fail over time

Reply to
tim...

I had one out of eight diet coke cans do that, couldn't find where the leak came from on the aluminium can. As someone said, probably a bad folded seam.

Reply to
Smolley

This article discusses some of the physics of canning beer. I doubt they would write an article about soda pop like this.

I've had soda cans leak and leave a puddle around the can (but not explode). Exploding implies the carbonation has come out of solution - or, something in there is fermenting. The carbonation comes out of solution at high temperatures. The slack volume in the can, determines what kind of a problem such will cause.

You can also cause the CO2 to leave the fluid by shaking the can. But it settles after a period of time and goes back to equilibrium. In theory, the can is mechanically strong enough for the can contents in either state. Then it's a question of what kind of temperatures it can handle.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No. Once it skins over it remains protected by an inert oxide coat until you disturb it and then it has to reform. Rather large amounts of spilt mercury were found under a library where a transit instrument used to sit. They used a stone trough full of the stuff to define true vertical!

I'd be surprised if aluminium cans would corrode that quickly without something obvious being visible (were they aluminium? - most are but some beer cans are ferrous). Caustic, washing powder or washing soda might also do for them on the same sort of timescale but I would expect to see obvious signs of white aluminium hydroxide.

Reply to
Martin Brown

so why does only 50% of the contents come out, with the remaining (gaseous) contents keeping the tin firm?

Reply to
tim...

for once

Rod is 100% correct here

Reply to
tim...

but the remaining gas is still under pressure

Reply to
tim...

Had a 500g pot of yogurt do that, 18 days within its time-to-go-bang date. White yogurt, white fridge, clean everything just in case.

Reply to
PeterC

Typewriters and monkeys...

Reply to
PeterC

I kept an emergency tin of condensed 'nestles' milk in the back of the cupboard. By the time it was ten years past its sell by date I opened it out of interest but it had turned into a lump of pale brown jelly. I would have thought the sugar content would have made it keep, but I guess milk proteins don't keep.

Reply to
Andrew