OT; Expectations

Sure they do. But the effort of finding them *and* finding out if they stock something *and* travelling to visit them makes click'n'order on Amazon much mroe attractive

See above.

The only small shops I visit are homebrew supplies. And that's more for the chat and tradition. And only since the closure of the online store I used to use :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm sure there are loads of ways it could be done. But I wanted a metal chain for various reasons.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Our "local" homebrew store closed suddenly last year. Suddenly but (truth be told) not unexpectedly.

The annoying/frustrating thing is that they also had a damn good online presence - with a corking domain name.

I am sure with a tiny bit of effort they could have sold the whole business as a going concern. The domain name was severely under-marketed and could have driven a lot of traffic.

Like everyone else, I miss being able to have a ferret in a dingy shop and come across a hidden treasure. But sentiment doesn't pay bills.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It must be an extraordinary shop.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Have you tried Range?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sew in a piece of small chain.

Reply to
Capitol

Optimist. Normal rule of thumb, hardware time x 3, Software, time x 10.

Reply to
Capitol

Its still there, though not as much an oasis as it used to be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which will rust/oxidise and mark the fabric.

There was a reason such things existed. And still do.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

All depends on the chain.

The Natural Philosopher

:)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Why ? Nearest one is a 10 mile drive, so not really somewhere to try on the off chance. Cheaper to order online.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Have you factored in the time to remove all the runners from 9-12 drawers and put them back on the *right* way round? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Bondage?

Reply to
David Lang

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Reply to
David Lang

I've finally stopped doing that :-)

Reply to
David Lang

Ha ha :/

No, because the garment was actually quite a nice jacket, and a decent loop means it will last far beyond the 3 months the original loop did. On the plus side, I did get a 50% discount after complaining :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You'll remember Mrs Wedge, the Ships Chandlers Verulam Road, then. Nearly as far from the sea as you can get!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

En el artículo , Capitol escribió:

I hate HB. I go in with the intention of getting one or two specific things and invariably come out with a trolley full!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Amazon/ebay's cheaper for chemicals anyway. Shops are too paranoid to sell many chemicals now, online sellers seem not to care.

Though exceptions happen. I searched for packs of plastic tea strainers yesterday, and found just gimmicky junk on amazon/ebay. Locally I can get them for 35p each, a fraction of the online price.

Sainsbury, Aldi, etc etc

for good reason

The haberdashers near me both had suitable cloth pieces last time I looked.

Le Creuset sums the process up. Charge x times the normal price and suckers will pay.

A lot of shops in town I can't think of any reason to ever enter. I wonder how some people believe and chase what they do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr