OT: Digital Speedometer

If you can prove it, e.g. from dash cam footage, obscured speed limit signs provide a defence if prosecuted.

Reply to
nightjar

All IC engines have bits thrashing around. Maintenance doesn?t come into it. They?re made of hundreds of moving components.

Virtually no audible whine in my car unless I hoof it when it whines quietly. I rather like the noise.

Cars aren?t designed for private owners. I doubt they spent too much time on designing it to be quiet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Fecking auto-correct. ?Cabs?, not ?cars?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Until you get to the age when restricted movement and confusion means you get your right foot half way across brake and accelerator and the harder you push the faster you go.

Left foot braking has its advantages

Reply to
Andrew

Like the notorious VW auto box that fails expensively.

Reply to
Andrew

correct

and doesn't vary with tread wear.

false

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But tyre pressure much more.

Reply to
Fred

Not in my state they don't. Essentially because their radar systems arent that accurate.

Reply to
Fred
<snip>

When a tyre is flat, it snakes from side to side as it rotates - this is most obvious if it's /very/ flat. One revolution of the wheel moves the vehicle less than the belt circumference - as it must - and this snaking makes up the difference.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Absolute cobblers

- and this snaking

No, it doesn't. Sidewall flex makes up the difference

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or drive at the limit and not to the speedo reading.

Reply to
alan_m

"Rod Speed" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:i5md6rF9lglU1 @mid.individual.net:

If you go on a Speed Awareness Course you find that the signs are not the only clue to being in a speed restricted area.

Reply to
JohnP

alan_m

Out of date, these days assholes drive audis, instead

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need to drive round London these days. So many roads now 20 mph limit. And very poor signposting. Bit like bus lanes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No moving bits in your electric car?

I don't. Reminds me of a milk float. ;-)

Really? Given the very high cost? Surely an owner driver who is in it much more than the average private car would have a say in that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Anoyingly my car has a very good Cruise Control, yet it does not work as a Speed Limiter.

Reply to
JohnP

Go on then. Explain how you know an urban road is 20, 30, 40 or even 50 without speed signs? And explain the same for motorways?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Only locals risk driving in bus lanes!

20 mph is an ambition given the sump busting road humps and the *use the whole road* cyclists in Islington:-( >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

The signage required for 20 mph limits is now /much/ less than for other limits - eg they do not require repeater signs and rarely illuminated signs.

Visitors also need to be alive to the explosion of temporary pedestrian and cycling zones for "School Streets" - roads closed for an hour or so morning and afternoons on school days. The signs are small (Diagram

618.3C), placed /in/ the road with so often not visible until you are committed to a turn, and have no advance warning . And IME sat navs (Google and TomTom) don't help.
Reply to
Robin