[OT] Connection to LAN dropping on XP but not Vista Options

[Previously posted on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ]

About a month ago we finally had our LAN wired up and connected. Previously, our XP Pro SP3 machine had been the only one connected to our Netgear ADSL DG834 Firewall router, which iss connected to our BT Broadband connection. The only thing that has changed is that three other patch cables are now coming out of the router, into the new LAN patch board whence the cables run to other rooms. In one of the other rooms my son is running Vista connected to his local network point.

However. Since the wiring was connected the home computer (XP Pro) has a very annoying habit of occasionally losing its connection to the Internet. You click on a link, or open a browser, and the "Dial-up Connection" dialog pops up. However, pressing "Connect" doesn't actually connect, just says "Unable to establish a connection".

At this point I can open a command window and successfully "ping" an external site - e.g. "ping bbc.co.uk". Also, the status of the "Local Area Connection" states that it is connected.

The only way to reconnect is either to log out and log back into Windows, or to right-click on the Local Area Connection icon in the system tray and select "Repair". Once that operation is completed, opening a browser window now causes the "Web page unavailable while offline" dialog to show. HOWEVER, if I now press "Connect" the web page connects successfully.

This fault is intermittent and unpredictable. I've tried swapping over the cables and it makes no difference. My son, on his machine elsewhere on the LAN, has no such problem. If it makes any difference our network card is a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
Edward

Try using static local IP addresses. Might be possible to associate specific addresses with ethernet cards in the router - which is quite a simple approach.

Reply to
Rod

Check in Internet Options - Connectons that "Never dial a connection" has been selected.

Reply to
Graham.

Well turn dial up OFF and REMOVE it, and set the Ethernet up properly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the government is not illegal, but on investigation often turns out to be linked to other offences

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks to all respondents. All now satisfactorily sorted (I hope!)

Reply to
Will

Which techniques overcame your problems?

Reply to
Rod