OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

And yes I have put it on for Tony. Last year he was a shivering wreck due to the fireworks when I got late home from work.

Reply to
ARW

It sounds like there's a major war on round here. What a f****ng awful waste of money!

Reply to
GB

GB explained on 05/11/2021 :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

They were trying to do a live interview outside the Headingly cricket ground, on the BBC News - all you could hear in the background was bang, crash, thump :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Get him one of those thunder shirts. They're pretty good apparently. --

"There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are common to all states of society. But Communism abolishes eternal truths, it abolishes all religion,and all morality, instead of constituting them on a new basis; it therefore acts in contradiction to all historical experience."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

More like ping, ting & ding. Fireworks have been losing their bang for decades now. My father told me they could buy bangers after the war that could blow steel buckets clean over the house. Like so much else, they're a shadow of what was once available pre 'elf n' safe tea.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have never really understood why they do this, what is the point of interviewing someone 'outside the xyzabc centre' just because the interview is something to do with what the xyzabc centre does. Would it not be much better for the quality of the sound and the comfort of those taking part to interview them in a studio somewhere?

Reply to
Chris Green

Probably about 20 years ago, someone put a large banger inside a phone box near here. The lid went up, so the sides fell down and then the lid came back down,

Reply to
charles

Poor thing.

Fireworks and halloween seem to have been a lot more popular this year, perhaps because there hasn't been much celebration for the last 18 months.

There were $deity knows how many kids in my garden this evening with bangy things; I don't think they all live here. I hope the cat who visits downstairs was elsewhere.

New restrictions in Scotland - It is illegal to set off fireworks before 6pm and after 11pm, or midnight on Nov 5 and 1am on Hogmanay, Chinese New Year and Diwali.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

before 6pm and after 11pm, or midnight on Nov 5 and 1am on Hogmanay, Chinese New Year and Diwali.

It's good to see people having fun, with their own garden displays, bonfires, etc.

Re fireworks, though, I think the extended time they can be let off is wrong, and detracts from the occasion. THey should be restricted to whichever day's event they are traditionally let off for, or a day or so each side of that occasion - not for a week or more either side. That is a) A nuisance, and b) Detracts from the special occasion.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Page is out of date or refers to England only.

It's only just gone 10pm and there's another load of bangs and the dog downstairs is going nuts.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Jesus wept. Did I say it's generally applicable? YOU said "Scotland". You mentioned firework restrictions. I pointed out the document above, which I think refers to England & Wales, to contrast the positions.

It seems to me that Usenet is now populated mostly by a hardcore remnant, many of whose cognitive abilities have been severely diminuished by age, or who are so cross about everything that they can only incontinently wibble.

GAH!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"Large banger"? From your description of the damage, it sounds like whatever it was had been significantly modified. You can build something really quite scary out of just half a dozen bangers by squeezing them all together tightly in a tube and binding it all up with gaffer tape. 14 year old boys are the usual culprit for such shenanigans. --

"The Communists are further reproached with desiring to abolish countries and nationality."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But no regs on burning old carpets and settees on the bonfire:-)

Reply to
ARW

I had a bonfire party with lots of fireworks. The children enjoyed the fireworks, and just generally played around together (because of Covid some hadn't seen their cousins for ages.) Amongst the adults it brought a lot of old friends together. News and gossip was exchanged. Lots of food and booze was consumed. There was even some networking! There was a marvellous spirit of co-operation during both the preparations and the actual event. I really can't think of a better way to spend money, than to use it to host such a joyous event.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I can't believe anyone does that.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Bliss of deep countryside. I might have heard a few pops and bangs before I went to sleep..

Less than I hear on waking up on a normal winter Saturday when it's pigeon slaughtering time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We used to empty them all out and build better ones

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think many of the birds in my garden were late up this morning and also they do now seem to be bad tempered. I guess they did not get their beauty sleep.

You can get recordings of things dogs are frightened by now I gather, and the idea is to start quiet and be with them and gradually make it louder and they will get used to it, or so the theory goes. I used to have a golden Lab cross who liked fireworks, when he heard them he wanted me to go out and seemed to know when the locals in a green space were holding their party, camp up on the patio of the end house and watch them, of course it might have been something to do with the children keeping on feeding him bar BQ sausages and the like as well. Ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In London, the bus conductors printed passengers' tickets from a roll. For some unfathomable reason, the ticket paper was wound on a cardboard tube about 6 cm long and 4 cm in diameter, with a 1 cm hole in the middle, and so strong you could jump up and down on it without making the slightest impression. If you were lucky, towards the end of October the bus conductor might give you the empty one when he refilled the ticket machine. A small piece of dowel would be araldited in one end, and the remaining space filled with the contents of six penny bangers. The fuse of one of the bangers was then araldited in the top to seal it. Be in no doubt these were very effective at making an extremely loud bang.

Those with no respect for safety used an empty Sparklets bulb in the same way. I never made one, and kept well round the corner when anyone set one off. How they avoided the shrapnel I'll never know.

Reply to
Jeff Layman