OT came across this gem re windfarms needing power from the grid!

OT but thought interesting.

dave

This paragraph caught my eye: "Theoretically, Britain?s wind farms, both onshore and off, have a combined capacity of 12.1GW, enough to power 8.8 million homes. However, a report published last October by the Scientific Alliance and the Adam Smith Institute found that the chance of all Britain?s windfarms running at full capacity together was ?vanishingly small?, meaning that actual output is often far lower. Rather, they found that the average output was just eight percent of the headline figure."

Eight percent!!! Bloody hell!! Things are worse than I realised.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

no, its not that bad. they average about 22%.

Amnd we dont have 12GW either, Not up and running.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well how else do they keep from icing up? I'd have thought this was obvious and should have been factored into the costs. After all, we all know the terrible delays we get at airports when freezing fog is around, rather like at Heathrow yesterday in fact. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends how they calculate that. If they are looking over all times, ie when the wind is not blowing or blowing too much or too gusty etc, then I can easily see how this might be a realistic figure. They may well be built in so called windy places, but even the windyest place is only windy about a third of the time after all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nothing surprising there then. The only thing that surprises me is that anyone can be so dim as to think otherwise.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I don't care, as long as their consumption is used to offset generation at the FIT rate.

Reply to
Fredxxx