OT: Bizarre gas meter positioning

Plus Tim* drives past it as it's local to him....

Reply to
Jim K..

On a B road near us there?s a stretch of road which has two gas meters mounted on the verge across the road from the properties they supply. Oddly, between the two properties with these oddly placed meters, there?s a property with the meter box conventionally mounted on the house wall. All properties are on the same side of the road.

Can anyone think of a good reason for these meters to be placed in such an odd pace? They seem a bit vulnerable in the event of a vehicle going a bit off-road.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

What convinces you it is a domestic meter?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That image is distorted. Click forward one step for a better view. Its not a domestic meter enclosure.

Andy Bennet

Actually I think *that* image is distorted (I wondered myself about such a slim box) but take another step and it does look like a normal meter box

Andy Burns

It might look like a box

but who's to say that there's a meter inside?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Maybe the feed is from a medium pressure main and they wanted to reduce to domestic before crossing the highway. We have such a feed but the 8" main is in the middle of the lane so our domestic meter box includes the reducer. BG wanted to replace the meter but Transco refused and told them to just change the battery:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I might agree if the aspect ration of the man-hole cover in the foreground didn't look so distorted (shrunk in the left-right direction).

My conclusion is it is probably more a square box, like a bog standard meter cupboard.

Reply to
Fredxx

There's something funny about the two links above. They say September

2009 and the box changes between slim on one post and wide on two posts. If you call up the alternative images that say April 2009, the width of the boxes become swapped wrt their September versions!

As it's now 2019, what does the OP see?

Reply to
Dave W

It is. It?s the same size and shape as all the Scottish Gas meter boxes in my area, the same as the one on my house, the same as the one on the property in between the two properties with their ?meter boxes? on the wrong side of the road.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

streetview image stitching f***ed up ... normally when that happens it's obvious, this time it's half convincing, but notice one of the posts doesn't exist at ground level in the "squished" image.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can only see one post mounted verge box opposite the modern(ish) bungalow with wishing well in the front garden.

The smaller older cottage (two chimneys one in each gable end) has a meter box on a side wall but it's not between properties.

Are you sure it's gas? There is a "WATER" marker post a couple of yards away and what looks like a stopcock cover almost in the gutter in front of that. The marker just the otherside of the post mounted box does look like a gas one, but as we are in Scotland they might be different to English ones that I'm used to. Any clues on a plate on the man hole cover? I'm thinking it's a water main monitoring point (flow/pressure), there seems to be some light industrial units behind the housing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I never! And the squishing leaves the shadow of the two posts looking wide at all times. I've just noticed a weird effect on the April 2009 version - to the left of every picture there's a fuzzy area in which colours are inverted.

Reply to
Dave W