OT: "BBC Proms"

It's the Proms, Jim, but not as we know it:

"In her 80th-anniversary year – and 50 years since the release of her album Young, Gifted and Black – the Proms pays tribute to the ‘Queen of Soul’, Aretha Franklin. A singer, songwriter, pianist and one of the best-selling recording artists of all time, whose song ‘Respect’ became an anthem of the American Civil Rights Movement..."

Fucking BBC. When will they ever get shut down?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I see they had Yuga Wang playing Liszt.

Reply to
jon

Bleedin' furriners!

A treat for the eyes as well as the ears.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Well they have every right to do this, but I would still expect them to keep a modicum of the traditional too. I quite enjoyed the year they had Quincy Jones over here. I do feel however that they are now being run by trendy people out to make a name for themselves, you only have to look at the classical landscape and all the albums where they have taken old recordings of Beach Boys etc, and added lush instrumentation inappropriately in some cases. The only one that ever worked in my view was the Carpenters one. Many of the rest have some nice tracks but most of them seem to have been missed by an all in wrestler.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Easy. Just find your consumer unit and locate the big (red?) switch and push it down all the way. BBC off.

Reply to
Andrew

It would be odd if Doom paid the TV licence, given he fled the country to avoid paying tax?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well, no-one will be watching last night of the proms this year because the Beeb have cancelled it.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes - various events have been cancelled 'out of respect', whether attendees want it or not. This has caused quite a lot of controversy, as many feel that unless something might be rather inappropriate, being British we should definitely "Keep calm, and carry on".

There has been particular criticism of the cancellation of the Proms, as this could have provided the ideal opportunity to perform some patriotic music and singing (more than usual) - which is something The Queen would probably thoroughly approve of.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

One of my professional bodies has cancelled all events, and told local branches to do the same. We have also been forbidden to send out anything but the most essential communications.

The actual funeral bank holiday is causing some problems for the two local universities (and no doubt many more). They have a tightly packed series of meetings etc. for new students, starting on the 19th. They all have to be fitted in that week.

Reply to
Bob Eager

One agrees

Reply to
Robin

On the other hand, we are due to attend a Chris de Burgh concert (my wife's idea) tomorrow night and we would rather it was cancelled or postponed. However we can understand why it is likely to go ahead and, if it does, we'll attend, simply because it was not cheap!

Reply to
SteveW

After two years of cancellations due to Covid this year many events have been planned. I'm aware of two "local" fund raising yearly events that in the past have been well attended but now have been cancelled because of the Queens death. This will probably result in the death of some struggling community projects. A fitting tribute to the Queen :(

Reply to
alan_m

Yep. I have to say that is roughly my attitude to a Chris de Burgh concert at any time...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher