OT: backing up PC data

I also have a Pi2B running OMV with a 3TB external (laptop) drive hanging off it as a sort of experimental / secondary file server. As seems all too common with me any anything Linux based, the whole sharing thing seems to have a life of it's own. ;-(

Yeah, that's often the killer ... however, if it's only 'emergency use ...'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

She puts the drive in a raffle? Gosh.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Back in the raffle, yes.

Anything wrong with that?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You back up every day into a file named for that date. Then extract the file you want. It looks just like tar:

tarsnap x archivename /path/to/file

The compression and dedeuplication is transparent, so you see a complete 'tar file' for every backup.

Bob Eager

So it's a command line interface to do a restore? I really can't be doing with that when I'm in a hurry.

Nice that the backup is to offsite and is secure, though.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Someone has written a web interface.

The whole command line thing looks just like tar, so it's not difficult.

Reply to
Bob Eager