OT _ Back up Advice - PC

But all that isnt easy for that level of user who has to ask which backup he should use, to do with the win backup,

What was being discussed there was being able to move back through various levels of changes to a particular file to get back to the file which had been changed and where it had not been noticed that that change to that file had not been a useful change till much later. Not how to deal with ransom ware.

Reply to
Jeff

Its very easy, windows asks if you want to do it. It reminds you if you don't tell it not to.

And that differs in what way? File history is designed for that purpose as is the NAS-NAS backup. The extra cloud backup isn't suitable for that purpose as it will just be over-written by the encrypted file created by the ransomware.

Anything kept on a disk attached to the PC or over a share is just as vulnerable to a ransomware attack as the disk in the PC.

Reply to
dennis

How much data do you have to backup and what OS? I wouldn't trust either of the options you suggested and certainly never use Windows backup! (what is the point of an *unreliable* backup program?????)

There are plenty of backup options to choose from but to use them safely you need to use a large master backup disk for a full disk image and then 3 smaller ones for grandfather, father, son hardware redundancy on the incremental backups - I tend to used 64GB coloured USB sticks for the latter. Even non computer savvy people can cope with that.

Basically you should aim to be in a position that writing the next backup never risks the medium that the most recent backup is sat on.

There was a thread I started in demon.service about free backup software that would run on an ancient Vista PC for my luddite technophobic friends which might point you towards something more suitable.

More modern software is available - I find Paragon Backup & Recovery OK for my needs (but supported versions wouldn't run on Vista).

Reply to
Martin Brown

I put Macrium on my PC - Big File! and created an Image

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Not with the multi generations of individual files we are discussing it doesn?t.

Win backup doesn?t keep multiple generations of individual files.

Irrelevant to the multigenerational file backup being discussed there.

Reply to
Jeff

Office 365 now gives you a "free" TB which would be plenty for many people. I'm not a particular fan of it as a product, but it's convenient to have if dealing with organisations that use modern versions of office.

Reply to
newshound

8<

For heavens sake rod buy windows 10 so you actually know what it does.

Reply to
dennis

Got it thanks and wasn?t stupid enough to pay for it.

Reply to
Jeff

That's free as in eight quid a year free ;-)

(which to be fair is not a bad price for the quantity)

Reply to
John Rumm

So you know that it says windows backup is depreciated and supplied for compatibility with old backups made with win 7 but still use it and complain about it.

Are you a linux zealot that looks for all the old stuff so you have something to complain about like TNP does? I used to think you were TNP but I doubt if he knows how to use a VPN to fake his location now he is suffering from his derangement.

Anyone with sense would use the proper one which does backups on the fly and keeps multiple versions of files, you know the one, its on the backup tab in settings, called, you guessed it, file history.

That and a set of recovery media is all that's needed to recover a win10 machine, but its easier to make an image and reload that for the starting point. Guess what, you can make images under the file history tab.

Reply to
dennis

Yep.

Nope. I use a much better 3rd party backup and more than one too, thanks.

Nope.

Nope.

Yep, you always were that terminal a f****it.

Don?t need to use a vpn for that.

Anyone with even half a clue doesn?t use any Win backup.

Irrelevant to getting an older file, what was being discussed.

Reply to
Jeff

Does this mean Rod and Jeff are the same person, or do you think they both know this, or should we keep it a secret ;-)

Maybe we need a referedum on it. Strange someone with so much money steals software and hangs out at garage sales driving for hours to get to them too.

Reply to
whisky-dave