OT: Automatics that have done a lot of towing

So we agree Rollses had 3 speed autos in the 60s. Not sure why that's an issue for you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nice bit of editing between posts there. Sad you have to resort to such a ploy. When shown up to be talking nonsense again. You really do need to get your mind back to sensible times before Boris and Trump. You don't nee to emulate them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But not for towing surely ?. 1800 landcrab would be better for that. Since the 1100 had the same engine design as a mini with the gearbox sharing the same oil as the engine, how did they manage to make an auto box work with engine oil (dirty) ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Nothing wrong with answering 2 of your silly posts in one go.

You're getting a bit pathetic.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Since you have the memory of a goldfish, I'll remind you of what you posted:-

***************

From: Subject: Re: OT: Automatics that have done a lot of towing Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 01:10 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

1.1 auto was an unusual beast. Even Rollses only had 3 speed in the 60s. ***************

Rolls started out the 60s with a four speed box. And then upgraded to a better three speed one.

But carry on making a fool of yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So we agree they were using a 3 speed in the 60s. (I oughta know.)

Reply to
tabbypurr

You don't know much if you think they had 3 speed boxes throughout the

60s. Indeed the 3 speed only arrived towards the end of the 60s. But one with your vast knowledge should be able to say exactly when. And when that 3 speed was upgraded to a 4 speed some years later.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think Dave is pointing out you said "only had 3 speed in the 60s", which would normally be read to mean *excluding* the possibility of

4 speed in the 60s. Perhaps you mistyped, but I'm sure you can nevertheless exclude the poor old gentlemans confusion.

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

I guess the phrasing is the issue. I meant they were still using auto boxes that were only 3 speed. Such a lil detail will cause Dave much joy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Think it's rather obvious he didn't know the car he claims to know well had a four speed auto before the three speed fitted to the one he knew.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

weird

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is, really. You claiming expert knowledge of something. But not you being found wanting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeahbut with all that grunt, 3 gears was all they needed. Jags were the same back then for the same reason.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yup. And the engines were designed with more torque at lower rpm to better match 3 speeds. Nevertheless it would have done a fair bit better with a 4 speed box. Having driven another 3 speed I know how crippling it is to performance with a more modest engine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm going to leave you in your universe.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Care to explain why Rolls changed from a 4 speed auto to a 3 speed one in the 60s, then, oh expert? Doubt it was to save money...

Any torque convertor transmission 'cripples' performance to a greater or lesser degree. Except when the TC is locked out.

Do you even keep up with how it's done in modern cars?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could you two love birds not get a motel room together sometime and shag the arses off each other? Your constant love-talk is getting nauseating.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

even the kids' simplified wiki could tell you that

yes, both factors do, albeit the use of 3 gears to a much greter extent. What's your point? No, don't answer, I'm not truly interested.

is that even relevant somehow? No it ain't. I shouldn't really feed the troll.

Reply to
tabbypurr

In terms of what annoys on this group, many would put it at the bottom of the list

It's obvious you prefer rattling on about helicopters, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pity you can't read and understand it, then.

I know why they did, having owned or driven both. You rather obviously not, by your ridiculous posturing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)