OT - any suggestions for accounting software?

Can anyone recommend free or cheap accounting software, suitable for keeping track of the finances of a small club/society? The group's treasurer has used MS Money so far, but I understand that that is no longer supported.

We'd be looking for something that either runs in Windows only, or - perhaps better (if it'd make life easier if & when someone else is treasurer if they weren't a WIndows user) - cross platform.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

MS Excel? (or the openoffice equivalent thereof?)

Reply to
Lobster

On Sunday 14 April 2013 23:04 Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Moneydance is pretty good and runs on everything (including as "Handybank" on Android, syncing via Dropbox).

Reply to
Tim Watts

How about using a real paper accounts book (, a pen and blotting paper)?

They're still readily available.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

GNUCash. Cross platform, free and configurable should you want to. I use it for personal accounts, but it's *way* more capable than that.

For details.

Reply to
John Williamson

Quickbooks

Broadland Wanderer

Until someone takes it home. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Take a look at VT Transaction+. That software is cheap but not free. However, they have VT CashBook which is free and is probably sufficient. If it turns out not to be sufficient, you can upgrade to Transaction+.

Reply to
GB

Plenty of suggestions, when looking at them check what import/export to "standard" file formats they support. You don't want to have your data in a propritary format with no means of transfering that to some other software if/when that becomes unsupported or the treasurer changes and they want to use some thing else for what ever reason.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With their history of leaving users in the lurch, I wouldn't touch them with yours.

Reply to
polygonum

GNUCash supports about a dozen formats including Quicken, Quickbooks and Microsoft Money.

Reply to
John Williamson

For some value of support. It only imports QIF files so you have to export every account from Quicken as a QIF file, which is tedious if you have more than half a dozen accounts. If you use Quickens categories, it then imports each category as a separate account, which means you end up with hundreds of accounts and an unbelievably confusing system.

I tried it when I couldn't get Quicken 6 to run in W7 64 bit and I was looking for a compatible alternative, but it was so bad that I found out how to get Q6 running in W7 64 bit instead.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

+1

That's all I've ever used for my accounts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm still using Quicken 98 (with the Y2K update) for personal use and those of a couple of clubs/societies. [Seeing a reference to Intuit reminded me].

Mine came free on the cover disc of PC Plus magazine many moons ago!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've used Excel and I've used VT Cashbook. Just for entering the info, VT Cashbook is roughly twice as fast. Plus it has some very useful features built in.

Reply to
GB

Also, if you're a bit careless with Excel, you can insert extra rows and fail to adjust the formulae - with the result that the totals can be wrong. I've seen it done - by others, I hasten to add!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Although MS no longer support Money, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. I'm running Windows 7 and Money works fine. Don't know about Windows 8.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Have you considered trying KashFlow

Offers lots of automation, with none of the jargon associated with incumbent accounting packages! 14 day free trial, so worth having a look at...

Reply to
PJ

Thanks everyone; I've passed the suggestions on.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

You can try Bearbuk online accounting software. You can manage your society or club sales, inventory, expense tracking, accounting, billing and more.

bearbukapp