OT: 1965 Halfords catalogue

Ahh, the joys of changing the 'points' and getting the gap correct.

Andrew

The prices for car radios are interesting, but they helpfully say that 'terms are available'.

Reply to
Andrew

A "wonderful selection of ashtrays"

Thanks for that.

Reply to
ARW

They also sold compasses. Any one else besides me keep on in the the car (or van)?

Reply to
ARW

Isn't there one in your 'phone?

Reply to
Huge

I had one of those compasses with the spherical element floating in a liquid stuck inside the windscreen. By the time it had settled down, I had turned a corner.

Reply to
Max Demian

What's that word in the middle of Licence Holder No. 9?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Anyone have a Gay Golly tricycle?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed there is, I trust it about as much as I trust a scorned mistress to keep quiet about an affair.

Reply to
ARW

Yes - mainly because I don't have one on the phone or tablet.

Well, and because my sense of direction went South with my hair.

Or was it West?

Reply to
Robin

I still have a Gunsons Colourtune, and whatever they called that green pistol-shaped strobe light, somewhere.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

+1
Reply to
Huge

There was a big neon that went in the HT leads to set timing, and a glass sparkplug for setting the mixture.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The orange neon thing I had (it fitted on the plug tip) was just a spark tester. The glass plug is the Colourtune. Orange = rich, blue = weak, a combination of the two = just right. The threaded bit is too wide to fit anything other than my old Daytona now.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Fascinating stuff. I've still got my dad's B&D D720 drill, don't know if he paid 239/6 for it though - what an odd way to put it. Does it sound any le ss than £11.19.6 ?

Reply to
Halmyre

The cheapest cost more than a week's gross wages for me at that time.

Reply to
Nightjar

I did for years until it leaked and a big bubble stopped the the needle from turning.

Quite handy pre-satnav days if you haven't a clue if you are heading the right way and either it was dark or cloudy.

Reply to
Andrew

Adaptors. Part 41104 Bijou heat and light switch. I could find a use for that today.

42506. Permanent system plastic cable. 7/029 T&E 20 Amp 1/10d a yard. That would be £1.86 a yard in 2017, about the same. 70513. '1001' interior cleaner, makes your upholstery like new .. And then fitted carpets became the norm and a whole new market opened up for them :-)

Camping Gaz doesn't seem to have changed much in 50 years ..

Why were there never 'lower' cylinder lubricants ????

STOP PRESS. Plastic macs 9/11d each, right next to Flashing Indicator Set. I'm sure there's a joke there.

Reply to
Andrew

They were lubricated by the sump oil, the same as the upper cylinders were. There was never a need for upper cylinder lubricants in properly designed engines. Like most engine additives they just appeal to the ignorant (95+% of drivers).

Reply to
dennis

In 1965, I worked 81 hours on a petrol station forecourt in one week, at

5 shillings an hour. I also sold a second hand car for them, earning myself an extra £2/10/00 commission. That was my best week's earnings until 1970.

That was from Jeff Allam's dad, for those who follow touring car racing.

Reply to
newshound