Opinions sought - Electric Toothbrush

The cheap ones that run off replaceable batteries are low powered. They will produce considerably inferior results to a rechargeable one.

Reply to
Graham Nye

The FFT analyser on my phone[1] says my Sonicare is running at 258 Hz.

[1] Doesn't everyone?
Reply to
Graham Nye

Just be be clear, I was saying that most toothbrushes aren't ultrasonic, but those that are, are significantly above sonic range.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've had several Oral-Bs and Sonicares and my experience is the same as Roger's (without the trip to Australia, though I don't bother to take my sonicare charger on holiday).

The Sonicare has a li-ion battery (and presumably a better control circuit) which runs at full power until it needs a recharge. The Oral-B has a Ni-MH battery which only runs at full power for a few days then fades away to uselessness well before it actually stops.

The Oral-Bs do seem to last longer. The Sonicares come with a 2 year guarantee so make sure you keep your guarantee paperwork and proof of purchase (or register it online).

When I visit my dentist I need less clean-up work (scale and polish) when using a Sonicare than an Oral-B.

Reply to
Graham Nye

Fair enough. OOI, which ones do work that way?

Reply to
Graham Nye

Andy Burns

I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth (there's a joke there somewhere about toothbrushes) but maybe I should be more picky about what gifts I accept. :-)

Reply to
pamela

I have an excellent dentist, she recommends electric toothbrushes, so I have one. However she does not rate the sonic versions as cleaning teeth better. I have had, for a number of years of years Braun, always worked and lasted well, until this one which ahs gone flaky rather quickly. what irritates me is they used to supply a charger that fixed to the wall, now they only do free standing ones, which are a PITA.

Reply to
Broadback

I had an Oral-B 500 Pro that ran well for about 38 months then started to go. Bought a £9 Oral-B 28 months ago, it's still OK and it can be 'recharged' in a minute or so. I change the battery (2x2.4Ah Eneloops) every month. It's far less inconvenient than the rechargeable one (18 hours - really? - what pillock came up with that for something in use twice a day!) - and, so far, is far more cost effective.

Reply to
PeterC

Huh! Brush head margins are the new printer ink profit model.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds about right. I reckon that the note I get if a solid part of the brush contacts a tooth is around middle C. Definitely sonic and not ultrasonic!

Reply to
Roger Mills

But they don't run out of ink! I'm still using the original head which came with my Sonicare over 2 years ago. Is that bad? If so, why - it still works perfectly ok?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have bought a Braun that take AA Batteries - and have put silicone on the o ring so I hope to be able to run it on Eneloops fo ra while.

In the meanitime I have managed to replace the battery in the Remington Sonic. However not sure it will be as waterproof so I am not going ot get too excited about it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Probably. I'm convinced my dentist is employed by Philips from the fuss he makes about model used, time spent and not exceeding the head replacement timing!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Streater writes

Likewise I had an Oral B lasted for many years (over 15 at least). It had a wall-mounted holder/charger. But when I came to renew it I was told by the manufacturer that they could no longer supply a wall mounted version due to EU regulations (I kid you not). So one sale lost and I've gone back to standard tooth brush. No wonder the EU is going down the pan.

Reply to
bert

Thanks. Have you tried one? Any comments?

Reply to
Graham Nye

The bristles soften with use and no longer clean as effectively. Sonicare suggest you change the head every 3 months. When new some of the bristles should have been blue. The colour fades with use so when they go white its time for a new brush head.

When it comes to buying new ones I just grit my teeth and think of the hygienist's bills I'm saving.

Reply to
Graham Nye

...and the ends of the bristles each become rounded off rather than blunt cut.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No, I just have a Braun, which is probably ~8 years old and could do with replacing as the rubber grips are going a bit "gummy".

Reply to
Andy Burns

Call me cynical. There's no way you're going to get a toothbrush head to mo ve back and forth at 1.6MHz, even slightly. And all the promo copy is writt en in a way that may well merely mean that the smpsu sends the motor pulsed power at 1.6MHz, which would not have any effect whatever on teeth or plaq ue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr