Oops - clean charcoal off

Or more precisely, charporridge. Its welded firmly to the ceramic container. What's the easiest way to clean it off?

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd start with a long soak. Let time do the work.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 08:57 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Angle grinder

Reply to
Tim Watts

1 Soak with bio washing power/liquid

2 Make note to self to cook porridge in the microwave in future

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

I usually give a good long soak with some dissolved dishwasher powder first. But friends of ours recently had success with a soak with a bicarb solution.

Reply to
chris French

Its currently getting a soak in bleach, after a small test showed it working well. I'll add some washing powder too. It was cooked in the microwave :/

I'll admit I'm tempted by the angle grinder option...

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Surprised you had a problem in a microwave unless the timer was set too long. My brew is 2 egg cups of oats, 5 of milk and uWave for 5 mins in a bowl that could take double the quantity. Open the door immediately that it is done to avoid steaming up the oven.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nah, that's a bit drastic - but you could try a pressure washer (used outside, of course!)

Reply to
Roger Mills

Tell the OH that it needs cleaning.

Reply to
ARW

It got 15 minutes on full - full being 1kW of nukage. Its cleaning up nicely, but gradually.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

7 minutes is about right for a cup of oats
Reply to
stuart noble

Was this breakfast or an experiment in home fusion? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Bleach ain't gonna do a lot.

Bung in a dishwasher tablet.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

3 Don't eat porridge. Tastes like a mixture of sawdust & wallpaper paste. Have a bacon sarnie instead.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The one time I made a real mistake of that nature (not simply burning a bit on the bottom), it was soup. Well it started as soup. Left over a low gas burner for a whole day while I was out.

When I came back, there was only a lump of loose charcoal - look more like coke. Pan seemed quite clean, considering. Used it regularly for many years afterwards.

Reply to
polygonum

Not when you've added the honey and Greek yoghourt

Reply to
stuart noble

Are we heading towards something like the stone soup recipe here?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No no. Brown sugar, milk, a dash of cream and a nip of Drambuie. Had this for breakfast last Sunday and it was delicious.

Reply to
fred

I'll try that on Weetabix

Reply to
stuart noble

For me it was reheating some macorini cheese under a low grill before going on a pub crawl Easter 1975. At least it was Easter when it went under some mates called around early for a planned long distance pub crawl and i forgot the grill ,the pub crawl got out of hand and we ended up in Switzerland. It was about 8 days later I returned home and the macaroni looked just like those charcoal sticks that were seen in the art class at school. Got the dish reasonably clean in a caustic bath at work but some black scale never came off.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg