One of the fence posts has developed cracks

Remember a few weeks ago I was enthralling everyone with my exposition on post-hole shovels? Well, one of the posts I put in has developed several cracks in the side.These are about 3mm wide and roughly 30cm long in one case. A couple of others are not as large. These cracks are on two sides only.

First, why is this happening? And second, do I need to start planning the post's replacement any time soon? Recall that it was put in with Postfix in the end, after trying a weak sand/gravel/cement mix.

Note that the other post (I put two in) shows no sign of cracking, but was from a different supplier. These posts are standard brown, treated

4 inch by 6 feet wooden fence posts.

Finally, would it help to dribble exterior grade wood glue into the cracks?

MM

Reply to
MM

Drying & Shrinkage of low grade timber (as used in fence posts)

If the cracks are above ground level, ignore them. If at/below prepare for early replacement.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The timber is drying out as we have had no significant rain. Most fence posts are green timber. ie trees are cut down, sawn up and pressure treated. So it's quite normal.

Never mind glue, dribble in some wood preserver.

Reply to
harryagain

This sort of thing I'd not expect to be a problem for some years. maybe the posts were just made of rubbish wood in the first place? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh, never thought of that. Thanks!

MM