on the subject of land prices...

apart from trawling through the local estate agents, where can I find out if there are plots for sale in my area, or plots that the local authority, coal board etc. may be selling ?

thanks LJ

Reply to
in2minds

In message , in2minds writes

In the main, if the land is worth having, you have to know someone who knows someone. Not that I am suggesting skulduggery, merely that good plots have a habit of changing hands by word of mouth amongst developers, or owners friends and acquaintances.

Some may be sold through estate agents, some are sold through the larger commercial agents, some are sold at local, or national, auctions. One way of finding is to drive the streets regularly, and keep an eye open for sale signs.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Or look for large back gardens that may be suitable for splitting up. You have to approach them nicely about them splitting up their garden. The initial approach is everything. Be persistent if turned down. They always turn you down initially.

Reply to
IMM

That's just charming. You knock on someone's door, and ask if you can buy some of their garden. They tell you to go away. You keep coming back and asking. Classic.

Reply to
Grunff

Yep. It is how you approach them that matters. Once they are sort of interested by asking questions and how much they would make and that you would take care of all legal costs and fencing, they may be swayed. In Surrey, developers hire helicopters to take photoes of areas so they can spot the large back gardens.

Reply to
IMM

It has worked, saw it on TV - probably one of the Grand Designs programs.

Reply to
chris French

In article , chris French writes

Good idea for some. Lets say you are getting on in years and have a large garden, several tens of thousands of pounds goes down well at that time of life.....

Reply to
tony sayer

that seems to be what happens around here there have been 3 plots suddenly being developed, 2 by the same guy, none of which had "for sale" signs up nor were advertised locally.

2 have been developed already and the 3rd has just been sold to a friend of the owner

it definitely seems to be a "word of mouth" thing around here

Reply to
in2minds

Remember that the bottom of the garden is the traditional place for fairies (and presumably tango and cha-cha dancers).

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is? What is the cha-cha? Well if tango dancers go there then it should be made into a ballroom down there.

Reply to
IMM

You could phone the Local Education authority and ask if they will be disposing of any old schools.

One on our road went out of service and was sold to a local car dealer. I checked with the local council and they said the building belonged to an old charity and when it was no longer needed as a school reverted back to them, they referred me to a solicitor's office

30 miles away. I called them and they said it was sold, I asked them why it hadn't been sold on the open market, they said there was no need to, it sold so easily without.

How can they ever prove they got the best price for it for the charity?

DG

Reply to
Derek *

Cha-cha [or cha cha, I don't know whether the hyphen is required] is the correct name for what you erroneously call the cha-cha-cha.

Reply to
Neil Jones

Doesn't that just smell a bit? It would be interesting if the council/solicitors actually had the right to sell the school given the condition of use you have mentioned. Given how many other corners they seem to have cut, can the car dealer be sure he's got clear title?

Tch. Honest John told the council that he was cutting his own throat.

Reply to
David J Rainey

Ooops sorry if it wasn't clear. The solicitors were acting on behalf of the charity, but I still think it stinks.

Reply to
Derek *

Happens all the time. Same with people asking if I can sell them our barn. Thinking of puting a "Not for sale" sign up.

Reply to
G&M
[snip]

And of course those nice people at the charity wouldn't dream to question the kindly solicitor who was acting on their behalf by 'recommending' they accept the car dealer's offer.

Do you think (just maybe) that the solicitor accepted a certain, shall we say seperate, offer from the car dealer? Brown paper envelopes spring to mind.

No, no! I must stop these thoughts. Why would a skinner do something so dishonest when he can get rich fleecing us poor mortals with his charges? Hehe!

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

In message , in2minds writes

There is a bit in the UK Selfbuild FAQ on this:

Reply to
chris French