OMG- repointing dilemma?

?
Reply to
Dean Heighington

That's an entirely separate issue. Shallow foundations and lack of expansion joints do result in movement in old buildings. Changing over to cement mortar changes this from a harmlses process into one that causes structural damage.

Unfortunately it is widespread practice, hence the numerous cases of damage to walls later, and hence SPAB seeing the need to publish on the subject.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Thank you Mike. IME Too many people make assumptions, based on limited knowledge and information, as seems to have happened in this thread... I posted in the first place to avoid making the same mistake.

Making a living from the building industry doesn't mean one is an 'expert' in all areas, yet many (such as myself) get asked by friends, family and existing customers to 'do stuff' that is not part of our usual repertoire because they 'trust' us and know us to be capable.

There is also an argument that someone who takes pride in their work can make a better job of a task they're unfamiliar with, than a wisened contractor who knows all the shortcuts and has put his/her trainee on it to make as much £££'s from it as possible- you just can never tell, which is why people go with those whom they trust.

As for usenet, if I'm asking questions in areas outside my knowledge (and insodoing, helping others through the responses contributed) whilst also contributing myself, in areas where I can... where's the harm? Is that not what ngs/usenet is all about? I can't understand people who spend time and effort trying to police something that is already done so, merely by one's option to 'post' or 'not post'! It's like shouting /getting upset at a TV programme with the remote control right in front of you!

There are lots of us out there, who are NOT Cowboy Builders. Now, Cardboard Customers... that's another story... ;-)

Reply to
Dean Heighington

What did I say in my OP...

I'm aware this could rekindle a previous debate and hope to avoid that because whilst the 'jury is still out' these jobs will keep coming up :)

;)

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Why avoid the one relevant issue when its so simple to get informed.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I did see that site before posting but must admit, was put off a bit by the Ancient Buildings part of SPAB. Upon returning, it is good sound information and comes with a stamp so perhaps I should have studied it longer.

BTW: thanks to your double link above, I have just discovered TinyURL... how good is that :) have seen it referenced before but only decided to follow it up when both your links went to the same google search, so thanks for that... could have saved me loads of aggro in the past :)

Reply to
deano