Old-style plug sockets

In message , Andy Hall writes

I can't remember, did they turn them upside down like they did with Wagon Wheels to make them look bigger?

Reply to
raden

They increased the area and decreased the depth.

The "new size" flash was on the top.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And no matter how many times you wire 'em up, you *still* forget to slip the cover over the cable before neatly wiring up the three cores about

20% of the time, right? ;-)
Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Weird nothing ;-) A fine design, the Wylex stackable. As you say, the plugs did indeed have their own cartridge fuses, with physically smaller fuses (3A? 5A?) for the physically-smaller plugs, so that the (ab)user couldn't fit a 13A fuse into the smaller plug.

Mind you, I don't think that Wylex ever produced a version of either the wall socket or the larger plug-with-integral-socket-on-the-back which had shutters on the L and N holes; but vague memory alleges that they did produce, in the late 60s/early 70s, plugs with part-sleeved pins.

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

How did you know that?!?! ;--)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

[ re Duraplug. Plugs ]

I wish I had got 5 quid each time I came across people who had done just that and then cut the rubber to instead of starting again !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Modern 13 amp Duraplugs have got round this, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Stefek Zaba writes

The newer Duraplug ones have been modified so that you put the cover on in the "normal" way.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ah well, you *thought* that funny thing up above the third gas barrel from the back of the stage was some aging pulley from a flying bit of set some umpteen productions ago; but if you look *really* closely, you'll find the embedded Webcam, USB port, small embedded processor, and sekrit Internet connection back to my all-seeing spy network, bwahahaha.

Either that, or just an utterly common experience for all who've ever put on a 15A Duraplug in plug or flying socket form - so much so that Other Correspondents report that Duraplug have finally bowed to our 'uman frailty and started shipping presplit covers. Sales of Stanley knife blades to lighting techs will dip as a result ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

13A?
Reply to
Frank Erskine

When I did some stage lighting work in the 60's our supplier would provide them ready cut if desired.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Mike said the following:

Neat summary :-) Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions, both on and off the newsgroup. The building I'm in dates back to the

13th century, but I suspect the electrical wiring is more recent ;-) Nevertheless, I would imagine it's fairly old, and so I don't think I'm going to take the risk of randomly plugging things into it...

Thanks, Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Bell

Turn *everything* off at the main switch(es). Remove one of the round pin sockets and examine the wiring. If it's PVC and the earth is connected, they're probably fine. If it's rubber, with or without an earth, seek pro help. Although it is possible they've just been left there after a re-wire to save repairing the holes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dont do this, as any movement of perished rubber wiring, even by half an inch, is liable to result in a fire. You can judge the age just by looking at the sockets. If theyre brown, arent square, and possibly mounted on their own contoured plinths, its ancient. If theyre white and square, same size as a modern single socket, its modern.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Which part of 'turn everything off' didn't you read? ;-)

It's possible the wiring has been replaced without the sockets themselves. And, of course, the reverse. Take nothing for granted with electrics. Always check - or have things checked - if you have any suspicions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, our house (we bought 97) all had switches dating from probably mid 1960's, but the lighting circuit wiring was all original 1930's. Also where there hadn't been enough 1930's cable to wire in the new switch, they had extended the cable with new cable attached to the old behind the back box so it looked at first glance like new cables as well.

Reply to
chris French

fairly obvious i read it. People who arent aware of this problem are liable to turn off, inspect, then turn on. Really.

Reply to
N. Thornton

Not much point in inspecting if you don't know what you're looking for? Old rubber if perished will fall off by removing the socket - or at least look very shabby. I'd not expect anyone to put it back and switch on in this state.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

most do.

NT