Old Piano.

Sell it on ebay.

the
my
and
Normal practice is to hit with hammer until all pieces are postable through a BSI sized letterbox.

Ah, you're talking to the master here! I have had countless old pianos in my lifetime. I treasure old pianos, though many are simply crap, turned out in their thousands in the East End in the 1920s and not worth the iron they cast as the frame. But some are worth saving and restoring. One big problem with pianos of all ages is their weight. They really are a bugger to move around, especially up or down stairs.
Its condition depends on whether it has been kept in the right kind of atmosphere. Too dry or too damp will ruin even a Steinway. Also, if it is wildly out of tune, you may never get it into tune again, or if you do, the tuning will slip after a short while. Note that pianos used to tune A above middle C to 435 Hz, not 440, so you may never get modern concert pitch out of it. However, a piano can be restrung, a new soundboard is not impossible (not for a DIY-er, though) and the whole action can be overhauled.
Whatever you do, please don't just break it up unless there is no other way. Many kids might love having a piano, but it never occurred to their parents to get them one. Even if you only get a nominal fee (or nowt) for it, you might have the satisfaction in your dotage of seeing the Leeds Piano Competition winner on TV whose tentative first forays on the keyboard were done on your old piano!
I LOVE pianos!
MM

I was the original poster of this query - and mine was a genuine question.
Thanks to all who gave answers.
I have decided to put an ad in the free ads in the local weekly paper and offer it as free to a good home, buyer collects. If no takers , I'll have to see about getting it taken away and paying for it.
Thanks for all your help.

Remove the bits and the top part makes a cocktail cab with drop front and the bottom storage for drinks.The key area (with keys removed) for glass.

Yet another suggestion if you find no takers is to consider offering parts of it to the local tech college. My brother used a piano keyboard to build a synthesizer as a project at his college. He only used the keyboard, nothing else. He added loads of electrical contacts, wires and stuff and put an inordinate amount of effort into it.
MM
writes

My Grandma, who died some 40+ years ago, left an upright piano, which I dismantled. I remember having a hell of a job getting rid of the iron frame, but I did recover hundreds of wood screws about No 8 x 1" with a semi-round (sort of mushroom) head. I still have a few of them somewhere! I think there were about 3 per note, plus quite a few others.
I once had ideas of using the keys as the basis for a nelectronic organ, but I still haven't got a round tuit (nor do I know where the keys went!).
--
Frank Erskine

Sell it.
Rick
mich wrote:

Keep it, take piano lessons, and paint your front door green.
Er, well, OK, give it away, then. Someone will be very glad of it, especially if it's got an iron frame. They aren't as common as they once were.
J.B.

I was a musical child and (pitifully) practiced the piano on a cardboard template cos my family couldn't afford a piano. You have to have grade 5 piano to study music at university, even if you are a virtuoso something-else-ist. I'm 32, could have changed since. If you get in touch with your local education authority and ask about instumental peripatetic (sp?) teachers, they might be able to sort something out. simp.

Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote in message

Never has been grade 8 for a music degree, even at Oxbridge.

It was for one our daughters ...
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote in message <412b1cc8$0$22309

I don't think universities are interested in how well you play because the courses are mainly academic. Different at the music colleges of course. I hope your daughter went on to do something more profitable :-)

She became a cabinet maker (after meeting a design student at college), they ran a mail order very fine custom designed and made furniture business then they bought a small farm in Wales on which they rear rare breed sheep and cattle and have obtained organic status. That feeds them (and us, partly), they still do the cabinet making for other bills.
She also plays double bass and violin with several Welsh orchestras and has even found bass pupils in the Welsh mountains - one who has just gained her Grade 8 ...
It's not financially profitable but very satisfying. They consider that they're privileged to be doing what they want and being beholden to no-one.
I agree, a hand to mouth life can have its own riches.
Mary

Ah, what dedicated parents you must have been, carting a double bass around on winter evenings! Only the harp player's parents have more to contend with.

has
her
around
Well, we had several other children so needed a large vehicle to accommodate everything. My boss took pity on us and bought a small (10 seater) minibus for us, there was just room for the bass as well as children, boy/girlfriends, cat, sports kit, art equipment and the other paraphernalia which goes with schoolchildren - as well as beehives. Winter was little different from summer, apart from extra jumpers.
It was more necessity than dedication ... we weren't natural parents but lust is a powerful urge and, having been irresponsible in having them, we felt that we had to bring them up responsibly.
It's paid dividends, we have no worries or responsibilities now.
Except that No 5 has just moved house and needs help with plumbing and re-wiring etc. ...
Heigh ho :-)
Mary

my
and
I learnt to play on such a piano. My mother bought it cheaply and had it tuned. Wasn't perfect but then I don't have the best ear anyway. Still can play a load of Xmas songs I learnt then.
Reminds me of the music teacher that came to the house. She was a real old biddy, tweed skirt etc. She had quite a beard. She also had buck teeth and used to make hissy sounds when she spoke. This affliction led to small bits of spit flying from her mouth. When you are 7, such things were hard to deal with. She would give an instruction and a bit of spit would land on a key, and I would be totally grossed out as kids would say now. I'd avoid that key like the plague and play wrong notes rather than touch the lurgied key- getting my knuckles rapped with a ruler for my efforts.
Ah happy days. So sell it and let some kids enjoy similiar happy memories.
Suzanne

And with modern DNA extraction methods and cloning, you never know, they might even be able to recreate the old biddy! Imagine a spittle-flecked wizened chin appearing like eddies of smoke from the gaps between the keys, to rise up, coalesce and form the indomitable Miss Tweedy, stroking her beard and picking her teeth. It's enough to put off any seven-year-old going near a piano!
On the other hand, my teacher was a female German music student from the Musikhochschule in Cologne, was about 22, had amazing threepenny bits and a figure to die for. I practised avidly. I think I was about 32 at the time.
MM

can
old
and
bits
lurgied
memories.
What a thought! One of the best arguments against cloning I've heard yet! lol Suzanne