Old Lead-Acid gel (power scooter) batteries

I've got about 50Kg of these buggers.

Is there a decent way to get a few quid scrap ? In Birmingham.

I can throw in about 30Kg of roofing lead.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

yellow pages and find a scrappie

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well lead is recycleable but you need a company who has a scrap metal licence. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This time last year 62p/kg

Does the church know yet? B-) This time last year £1.28/kg

Might not get you the best price, I got the impression last year that the small scrappies take stuff in but get the price from a much bigger place and no doubt take their cut. I used the Blaydon (Newcastle) site of European Metal Recycling (uk.emrgroup.com). It was very busy with anything from big commercial metal waste, to the flatbed truck filled with random collected scrap. The latter I'm sure will know where to get the best price...

Note you'll need to register (that should apply at all scrappies), so will need proof of ID and proof of address. Check the EMR website for details.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Last time I took a couple of old car batteries to the local place got a fiver each for them. But was paid by cheque. No cash allowed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I took 40kg of metals down about 3 years ago, they obeyed the no cash rule, I got paid direct to bank, I was unaware that ID was necessary so hadn't taken any, but they weren't so hot on that and just said "bring some next time" ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you are not far from J6 of the M6, there is a place "Tarranos" I think, where they have a depot advertising, they are usually fairly busy too, I've seen the odd entrepenaur rolling a handcart to the establishment.

A38 just after Bannings Tyre & Battery

on route to Aston/ City Center.

Wouldn't know about the lead acid, but CP batteries in Darlaston [M6 J10] Strip and recycle them if Tarranos wont take them.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I took ~100kG of scrap in we found around the house and garden when we moved in. Mostly iron.

Got nothing for it in the end - never did get around to going back with ID. But at least it got recycled.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Sounds perfect - Tx

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We have three fairly large scrappies within 20 miles, IIRC they all quote current prices on their web sites. Certainly well worth a trip for that amount.

As others have said, they will need ID. I still have a paper driving license but my bus pass works in most places. Not at the scrappie, they gave me a credit note and I had to go back with a passport.

Reply to
newshound