Old coal effect fire - does it contain asbestos?

Hi

I've an old coal-effect fire. It's the sort that directly replaced a coal fire - not enclosed and just sits on the hearth. It was already installed when I moved in about 17 years ago, so I'd guess it's around 20 years old.

I've noticed that the 'coals' are soft and starting to break apart. The inside is white and looks like its made from very fine fibres. Could it be asbestos?

Answers to the following questions would be much appreciated:

1 Is there an easy way to find out if it's asbestos?

2 Can I get replacement 'coals'? Any recommended suppliers (I'm in north London)?

I realise I have to have the old 'coals' safely disposed.

Seasonal greeting to all.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

I understoood that the 'coals' were made from pumice stone (ie the outpourings of a volcano)

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks Andrew. Happy New Year.