old bath resurfacing

I have an old antique clawfoot bath in my flat (from 1880ish). It appears that it has been resurfaced (or painted) in the past. I am begining to find the paint (or whatever it is) is coming away.

Could anybody suggest the best approach to resurfacing the bath. I have seen there is a DIY treatment called 'Tubby' - however if this is what has previously been used on the bath - I am not impressed.

Thanks in advance,

Calum....

Reply to
Calum McLean

PoP

PoP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

number of operators if you're not in Berks.

Have a look here: for the real deal.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I've found Tubby excellent on my bath - but be warned, it is all down to how well you prepare the bath before applying it. You need to strip it right down to the enamel and not use it for at least 24 hours after applying the Tubby. Even then - never EVER put down one of these shower mats on the surface as it will cause problems. It won't last forever - five to seven years probably - but it is cheap at around £45.

Reply to
sm

That is one of the best-written websites I have ever seen. It simply reeks of old-fashioned craft standards, which is of course precisely the effect they want. As you say - the real deal but presumably very expensive. Personally, if I had a bath that was 125 years old, I would grit my teeth and spend the money on proper enamelling in the hope it would last another

125 years. Of course, it would mean that you could never sell the house it was in.
Reply to
GB

I imagine getting the cast iron bath out and back in for enamelling to take place might present a problem or three. Assuming that it can't be done in-situ?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

You are correct - it may be a wee bit difficult to remove the bath for enamelling. I live in a 3rd floor tenement flat (no lift) & think the bath would not even fit through the bathroom door. I suspect the bath was put in place before all the internal walls were built.

Calum....

Reply to
Calum McLean

I used these people

a good job and reasonable too. BUT you can't use the bath for a week after the process

Nick

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Can you tell us how good a finish it gave (e.g. can you see dust specs?), how well it stands up to knocks etc? And how much it cost (of course?) Did they (or you) remove taps, waste and overflow before doing it or just mask them off?

Reply to
John Stumbles

(Sorry, wrong attribution!)

Reply to
John Stumbles

The finish was pretty good and quite smooth. It's very important to get the surface clean and smooth when the old enamel is removed.

I can't tell you how well it survived as I moved soon afterwards.

IIRC they left taps and overflow in situ.

Cost about £100 I think

Nick

Reply to
Nick Brooks