OK, time to disassemble upright piano - some ideas needed

I'm fairly sure it wasn't the intention, but you "all but" just sold me on why a dearer one makes sense! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

That's of interest, noted, thanks.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

He's even been featured on the local radio news since the first mention I saw of him in here yesterday. I get the feeling he would, as he's quite clearly "something else" that one - however I'd not end up with the satisfaction, the experience or the "quite handy" new toy if it went that way!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Oh, irony, irony, they've all got it irony (as dear Kenneth didn't use to say). My claim is indeed that a cheapie will do the job; the particular task in hand (metal cutting) won't produce the volume of nasty dust which slab cutting, tile cutting, or woodshaping does. And then you'll have more money in the tool budget for tools where quality matters more.

The "middle way" tool-buying strategy I (and a few others on this group) seem to have settled on goes as follows. For tools whose characteristics and intended usage you already know well, buy towards (but rarely at) the upper end of the price/quality tradeoff: it'll typically last longer and do the job better. But for stuff you haven't used before (a juicer - to take a kitchen-tool example; an angle grinder in your case; a cordless screwdriver) it's often sensible to buy the el cheapo as an experiment, and regard its cost as sunk into the particular job you're doing with it, while learning on that task whether the kind of tool is something which will earn its keep. Once you've used the cheapie, you're in a rather better position to choose - when the cheapie breaks or becomes too frustrating to use effectively - among the better-built models, according to the bells and whistles you now have a much better idea of the utility to you of. (Apologies for those who hate to see prepositions the ends of sentences at ;-). And yes, there are cases where this is a poor strategy

- a duff tool might damage something expensive (your health, a pricey workpiece - f'r instance a wandering jigsaw ruining an expensive piece of worktop), or cause you to condemn a useful tool category on the basis of a bad experience with the bottom-end flavour.

Obviously, the final purchasing decision here is yours!

Cheers, Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

His site's down already.

Reply to
GB

Stefek Zaba wrote | will earn its keep. Once you've used the cheapie, you're in a rather better | position to choose - when the cheapie breaks or becomes too frustrating | to use effectively - among the better-built models, according to the | bells and whistles you now have a much better idea of the utility to | you of.

You also then have the cheapy to fall back on for rough work or lending to people

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Gnube writes

Try it b4 you buy an angle grinder. You might be surprised. And I *do* have the kit to cut it up :)

Reply to
mark

Not from here it isn't.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Local news did an item tonight saying it was "swamped" already - let's see, that's about 24 hours and he needs a new/decent/better ISP/host - I'd say he's a bit popular based on that.

Looks like some drivers might be about ready to revolt in some small way. I guess enough is always enough. Strange times!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

In message , mark writes

Just give it a whack with a sledgehammer from a safe vantage point

Reply to
geoff

As posted earlier in this thread, I am physically not able to use a sledgie any more. Thanks for the thought though.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

So I noticed after I posted

I really think that you should try and dispose of it intact - that way someone might take it off your hands without the problems you will encounter by half destroying it

Reply to
geoff

In message , GB writes

No it's not

Reply to
geoff

Go to your local off-licence car park and recruit a few Yoof. They'll probably pay up for the chance to demolish someone else's piano. 8-)

OTOH, finding one of today's Yoof that can lift a sledgeghammer may be tricky.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I dislike my cheapo B&D jigsaw so much I cut the curves on my wife's new spice rack by hand with my el cheapo coping saw, and apart from the healing cut on my finger caused by me holding the waste *below* the saw it all worked beautifully. Since I had hand ripped and planed all the wood the thought of ruining it with the jigsaw was not to be contemplated.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Prolly plastic.

What model piano was it anyway? Please don't say it was a Bechstein or a Steinway.

Roger.

Reply to
The Old Fogey

Hello Andy

Seconded. I've had a cheapie green Bosche hammer drill for 8 years now and am getting annoyed that it won't die.

I use it a lot for screwdriving, but it's a pain not having variable and reverse so want to replace it, but this thing just won't stop working! I thought I nearly had the bugger when the chuck siezed up, but it was just dust from drilling upwards and an oil bath freed it.

Harder to justify a new tool when you've got one already that's "nearly" as good.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Always the way on usenet! ;O)

I went over that, and wondered how it might turn out; In a few years time, someone will say, "where's the piano gone?" and we will say "it was disposed of", and they will say, "why", and we will say "because SWMBO wanted trendy flooring", and at that point, I will justifiably hate myself for letting that happen.

However if I can do "the effort that's gone into the beast" justice, then there will be bits remaining in as nice a way as I can think of to mark it's existence and saying that it was appreciated. Making other nice things out of it is way better than it being in landfill, which, who knows, could happen any other way. Even trying and failing, isn't half as bad as just caving in for an easy ride!

OK, it's just me being a daft old sod, doing it all wrong and being awkward in a slick, disposable world, but to me it's worth having a value or two of that nature, letting go of it, isn't gong to make anything any better.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube
[snip]

I know that feeling!

I got my "second" use drill here, a 2 speed (on or off!) Wolf sapphire with a half inch Jacobs I treated it to on it's first birthday, but we're at odds just like that, we just had our 32nd anniversary too! I expect the old girl will cash in her chips not too long from now though, she'll be starting to get a bit tired I reckon. ;O)

My "first" use drill, a Bosch rather like yours by the sound of it and about the same age, is just getting it's growing pains out of the way! It'll start getting the right idea about doing real work instead of lollygaggin about soon I hope. I tend to use the pillar drill if possible where the Bosch's youthful exuberance is not going to be welcome on a job that's got to be "just so"!

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I'm not sure they had all that much plastic as such then. Any they had was looked down on as a cheap rubbish way to go. I suppose people will go bats on the antiques road show for MDF one day if plastic's progress is any sort of guide! Hard to imagine it right now though!

W Barron of Vienna, (no, of London actually, just pulling yer leg!;o)