Oil tank questions

I think the bund is not the whole tank, it is the extra piece of tank outside the tank that has to be able to hold all the inner tanks contents

So total volume = 210%?

Whatever. As usual theory is useless. comply with the regulations is all one does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once you are double skinned why NOT bund?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where do the regs require you to exclude from the volume of the bund the volume of that part of the tank that sits inside it?

Reply to
Robin

I read it to mean that the bund has to have that volume on its own, but I can see that your version may well be correct.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I would have thought the regulations should address the possibility that a leak in one tank, particularly one that is not bunded, could also empty any others connected to it. That is simple enough to prevent with good design, but not if they are connected so as to effectively make them all one big container.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

the volumes of multiple tanks need to be added together for things like the 2,500 litre threshold which are for the installation as a whole.

Reply to
Robin

Any precautions? I have a 400 gallon diesel tank to cut up.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well quite, but the conversation didn't appear to be going that way.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well that makes sense, but presumably if the connections are done with non-return valves inline then the issue would be avoided.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The regs just require that the bund can hold 110% of the volume of the tank. Whether the tank is above the bund, partially in it or completely enveloped by it, makes no difference to the bund's capacity.

If the tank was half in the bund and sprung a leak, the level in the tank would fall and the bund would fill, until the levels equalised, the bund it then containing it all ... even though part of what it is containing is also still within the tank.

Reply to
Steve Walker

A local skip hire company used to take old steel tanks and cut them up to use the material to patch up damaged skips.

Reply to
John J

That is indeed how *I* read it

Reply to
Robin

Which is the sort of thing I would have expected to appear in the regulations.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

not a lot. We were a bit scared. But all the diesel leaked had out. I think - its 20 years ago - that we certainly left a large hole in it for a few weeks first. We might have hosed it out with water too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, because a non return valve can fail and it not be noticed that it has failed.

Reply to
Jacob Jones

Not every tank is required to have a bund, hence my comment 'particularly one that is not bunded'.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

So today I called the number Boilerjuice says to call to talk to someone about what my options might be, since they seem to offer a service to get a tank installed. All I got was a mechanical voice that repeated and repeated that I should use the chatbot on their website, which told me the bot was not available. There's service for you.

Harlequin, whose tanks Boilerjuice wants to sell me, claim to offer free advice, so I tried to fill in their online form. The boxes for County and Postcode kept telling me that the phone number I had entered in those boxes (County and Postcode) was wrong. Well I hadn't entered a phone number in those boxes, had I. So I went back and entered a phone number in each of those boxes (County and Postcode) and only then could proceed to the next step. But then it wanted photos of the existing site so I gave up at that point.

Don't these people want the business?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Any skoolboy should kno that a 1100 litre bund can contain a 1000 litre tank and all its oil. Even if some of the oil escapes from the tank into the bund.

What I don't know is how you tell if it's leaked!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Well if I was designing it I?d include a small tap in the bund that one could open to check for leaks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Find an independent or DIY