oil fired boiler installation, west berks/wiltshire area

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, of Ayres Heating in Amesbury? I'm thinking of using them to replace my oil-fired boiler.

I live in Wiltshire, near Hungerford - would anyone like to recommend an alternative firm to do this work? Most of the local one-man outfits seem to be too busy.

I'm also considering using Shell, but they made a right mess of servicing my old boiler, so I would prefer not to.

thanks for any ideas/comments

James

Reply to
James

This IS a DIY group you know! Whats stopping you at least considering doing the job yourself? IF it is simply a like for like replacement there is very little to stop you but do take the time to learn about the current standards for oil fired boiler installations including the PROPER provision of the following list (which is not exhaustive but covers the main omissions I come across regularly):

  1. Environmental protection against oil pollution ( may not be particularly pertinent if you are not altering the storage tank as part of the job but tank replacement can be a case of opening a whole can of expensive worms to meet current standards)
  2. Remote operating firestop valve located OUTSIDE the dwelling (with sensor inside of course) NOT the ubiquitous fusible wheelhead type
  3. Combustion air supply via non closable ventilator to outside air. Balanced flue oil boilers are becoming common now but do bear in mind the location of the flue with respect to clearance from openings/corners/personnel. Balanced flue models do not need combustion air vents but you do still require compartment ventilation if you decide to enclose your nice shiny new boiler
  4. Fully pumped system with seperate independant control of heating and hot water.(The industrty standard "S" plan is pretty good for this or even "S" plus if more than one heating zone)

Your planning could start by obtaining the installation and service instructions for a suitable boiler from the manufacturers. If you do not have any particular model in mind you could do worse than contact Firebird Boilers and ask for details of their kitchen type S range as a good basis. Of course there are many others but I do have a distinct preference for the Firebird range as I find them to be of good build quality and very good value for money.

Reply to
John