Oil Central Heating - fuel oil cleanliness

Hi,

Grateful for pointers of how clean central heating fuel oil should be

- how many microns should it be filtered to??

TVMIA

Reply to
Rob

Hehe...microns...

All the oil installations I've ever seen use one or sometimes two mesh filters - one at boiler, and maybe another at the tank outlet. The mesh is I's guess ~300um. So quite big.

Reply to
Grunff

I cant answer your question, but I use a Crossland 489 filter. This has paper elements like a small car oil filter. The elements have to be changed regularly - If the element is not changed it will eventually clog up - after 10 years.

My filter is at the tank end of the supply line.

Some boiler installation instructions say that the filter should be as close to the boiler as possible, but outside the casing. Some boiler manufacturers supply a new filter with the boiler. You could ask your boiler manufacturer what filter they recommend.

My Danfoss oil pump also contains a filter. I have found buying spares impossible. No sign of dirt on the filter.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

I guess its not too much of a problem though - after filling and stirring up the crap in the storage tank, the really big stuff would settle within hours and the small stuff within a few days. The draw off is quite slow and the jet in the boiler is around 1mm diameter on my father's

140,000 Btu boiler (single jet 30 year old thing) which seems a bit big to me. I would guess modern boilers use higher pressures and finer jet(s) with multi holes for better atomisation and burning...

I think his system also has a paper filter a bit like a car air filter in the feed line which must be pretty efficient at filtering out the bigger stuff....

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

atomisation and

Our 3 year old grant euroflame is a single jet, but the orifice is quite a bit smaller than a mm.

Reply to
Grunff

Our 38kW (120,000btu ish) has a jet that is about .25mm dia. but the construction internally must be like that of a killa spray "jet" as there is an obstruction approx 1.5mm behind the front face of the jet. It has a "granular" metal filter on the back of it.

I don't think it's so much the jet as the high pressure pump that would suffer from a bit of grit. I don't think we have ever changed the filter in the supply line but we do have a plastic tank rather than a rusty steel one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice