Oil boiler - extended warranty?

Just had a new Grant Vortex Eco condensing oil boiler fitted. It comes with two years cover. There is the opportunity to extend the cover to five years for £96, using a company called Smart and Cook who appear to run the Grant warranty scheme for them.

Does the panel think this is worthwhile (given the potential cost of a problem, and that any work would have to be done by a tradesman, not me) or, as so many extended warrantys, might just be full of weaselling out if ever called on.

Any experience with this scheme or other advice gratefully received!

Reply to
Shimshams

EU Consumer Rights - Britain Has 6 Years Warranty EU Directive (1999/44/EC)

Hi everyone Did you know that when you buy goods in Britain, they are covered by a statutory 6 years warranty (yes - SIX!) ... not the 12 months + additional extra cover that's widely paraded across Britain's stores.

Don't believe me? Well it was discussed on Radio 5 Live, Victoria Derbyshire show yesterday 28 May 2009. Maybe you were listening to it?

follow this link, scroll down to: That piece of EU legislation you've all been asking for...

standard EU warranty on goods is 2 years across Europe, some Countries its more. The guy on Victoria' show said it's 6 years for Britain.

Most stores across Britain are not even aware of this EU Directive. They soon will, and they gotta abide by it.

So... print off the Word or PDF document (page seven)

it handy, and show it to the manager of the store when you return your faulty goods up to 6 years later.

For more info about this, don't ask me. I'm just passing on this info.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Product guarantees =91How long are guarantees on consumer goods valid?=92 Viktor used to live in Germany, where it is common for products to have manufacturers=92 guarantees of five years. In March 2005, he bought a new washing machine in his home town of Eger in Hungary, but it started to leak water in April 2006. =91I complained to the Hungarian representative of the manufacturer, but they didn=92t want to know. They said in Hungary there is only a one-year guarantee, not five years. What can I do?=92 In this case, Viktor=92s rights as an EU consumer are not being respected by the Hungarian representative of the manufacturer. The fact is that a twoyear guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC). In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period. When you buy a new product, it should look and function exactly how it was advertised. But do you know what your rights are if your new coffee machine leaks, or if a green door is delivered instead of the blue one you ordered? The vast majority of purchases and transactions in Europe take place with no reason for complaint. However, if you do have reason to complain, you should be aware that the following rights and responsibilities apply everywhere in the EU: =95 If the item you bought does not look or function as it was advertised, or if it is not satisfactory, you have the right to have the item replaced or to get your money back if the replacement was not completed in a reasonable time at no extra cost. =95 If you buy goods that turn out to be faulty, manufacturers must compensate you for any personal injury or damage caused to property. =95 When you buy goods or services by post, telephone, fax or through the Internet from a professional trader, you have the same rights in relation to guarantees as if you had bought them in a shop. Further information:A two-year guarantee applies to the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/guarantees/index_en.htm

Reply to
Kipper at sea

I have insured my boiler with S&C and their predecessors for many years and have found them very good to deal with when I made a claim. In real life the warranty represents very good value. When I replaced my old boiler with a Grant boiler I took up the extended warranty. So far I have not had to claim on it but a single claim would usually exceed to premium.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In message , Shimshams writes

You have to look into exactly what is and what isn't covered

Reply to
geoff

I think you'll find that its up to 6 years - and if e.g. Your washing machine died after 4 years that you could claim a proportion of this back, not a replacement after 6 years

And - you would probably have to take out a small claim to recover any money

Reply to
geoff

That info isn't entirely true as there is no *warranty* for wear and tear or owner abuse - it covers only inherent, latent defects in manufacture and materials and *YOU* have to actually prove that once the goods are over 6 months old.

As a matter of interest, from the brief 'reads' that I have had on the EU thing, that is by far inferior to the current Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) that we have in the UK.

Better to take out a good quality extended insurance cover that will cover wear and tear rather than rely on the SoGA for that type of claim.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

The way that I look at it is that it can't be a good be a good bet for the insurance company and you. Further you are not protecting yourself against a very large loss such as your house burning down, or might be incurred in a motor vehicle accident. So for that reason I avoid all extended warranties. In the case of oil boilers there is a reasonable chance of my being able to indentify any part that fails and replacing it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It happens that Kipper at sea formulated :

It is upto six years, depending upon the product type, how much was paid and how long a reasonable person would expect the item to perform faultlessly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield