Oh look wood burners cause global warming.

In message , Roland Perry writes

Would that be the water vapour that escapes into the atmosphere during seasoning

surely not

Reply to
geoff

No, both effects are real, though they might be acting over different timescales.

Particles of soot and ash in the atmosphere do reduce the amount of sunlight reaching earth's surface:

of the better episodes of Horizon was about it:

Java Jive

In message , at 00:15:09 on Sun, 20 Jan 2013, geoff remarked:

Not just the water, the dampness is going to affect the temperature of burning and hence the amount of complex hydrocarbons released.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I would have thought that the different smells involved should tell that they are likely to have different compositions, and therefore likely to behave differently when in the atmosphere.

Yes, just think of the difference in the amount and nature of the smoke produced.

Obviously water vapour, and, seeing as it has a distinctive smell, some other things as well, evaporate from the wood during seasoning.

Though not the same thing as rain, albeit the two are obviously related, water vapour in the atmosphere is not in itself a problem. In fact in certain arid areas, I dare say the inhabitants would welcome more of it.

Reply to
Java Jive

If one be lives the guff, it has a powerful greenhouse effect.

Reply to
DrTeeth

Are you talking the natural cyclical type or the rubbish that is supposedly man-made?

Reply to
DrTeeth

Reply to
Java Jive

It is the most powerful greenhouse gas, and it's part of a positive feedback loop. If CO2 concentrations increase, and the world warms by a certain amount, then the greater heat evaporates more water as vapour, thus amplifying the effect of the original CO2-induced warming.

However ...

"Aside from water vapour, which has a residence time of about nine days, major greenhouse gases are well-mixed, and take many years to leave the atmosphere."

water vapour itself is not really a problem.

Reply to
Java Jive

In message , Java Jive writes

But guff is mainly methane - powerful greenhouse gas, that

Reply to
geoff

Wiki backs up what I thought, not all are methane.

However, not all humans produce flatus that contains methane. For example, in one study of the feces of nine adults, only five of the samples contained archaea capable of producing methane.

Reply to
polygonum

You're not keeping up.

The impartial BBC has just told us that soot particles in the atmosphere have a greater effect than methane:

"Black carbon aerosols have been known to warm the atmosphere for many years by absorbing sunlight. They also speed the melting of ice and snow.

This new study concludes the dark particles are having a warming effect approximately two thirds that of carbon dioxide, and greater than methane."

That's the dairy industry off the hook then; and we can all pass wind without feeling guilty.

Until methane comes round again as a bogeyman, that is.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Ah but I am

You just snipped / missed the context in which I typed it

Reply to
geoff

Afraid not. Following standard netiquette, I left in the part of your contribution that I was replying to, which happened to be all of it, and included that part of the PP's post that you responded to,

HTH

Reply to
Terry Fields

What I replied to was posted at the bottom

Someone top posted a reply My reply was to the bottom poster but in context to the top poster

Go look if you are so anal, otherwise just move on with your life ...

Reply to
geoff

What garbage. Water vapour sits there all the time so its effect is there all the time. It will not leave the atmosphere as long as it evaporates from the seas, etc.

If we covered the sea with a film to prevent evaporation then we could reduce the amount of water vapour significantly and affect the temps.

Reply to
dennis

I realise that top posters are a PITA, but my response contained all the relevant context from you and the top poster you responded to.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Oh do f*ck off

Reply to
geoff

have a greater effect than methane:

ars by absorbing sunlight. They

pproximately two thirds that of carbon

hout feeling guilty.

I think the soot thing is when it lands on snow, so making it absorb more solar radiation.

Reply to
harry

As the air heats up, it absorbs more water. A cumulative effect.

Reply to
harry

a greater effect than methane:

by absorbing sunlight. They

approximately two thirds that of carbon

feeling guilty.

In Austria, instead of salt, they use black grit to de-ice the roads, depending on the weather. On a sunny day, they spread the black grit early on, and by lunchtime, there's no snow on the road at all.

Obviously, it doesn't work on cloudy days...

Reply to
John Williamson