O.T. Children (and bigger) screaming ...

Today, I was out in the back garden doing a bit of DIY (so not totally O.T. !) and at the house across the other side of the field, was some children playing in the garden. One in particular - it sounded like a youngish girl - screamed almost continuously. And I'm talking like blood-curdling screams here ... I get the same thing when a particular set of people visit my neighbours. They also have a young girl that screams in a similar way. On the TV, I see much older girls doing the same thing on their pissy-headed Friday and Saturday night outings. Presumably, these are the kids from a few years ago who were doing it, now grown up. I also hear them in the village here late at night.

So, what has happened to the last couple of generations of parents, that they have let this become the norm? Do they not understand that screaming is a sign of extreme distress, meaning "I need help ! Fast ! Anyone ! Thirty years ago, if I heard a child screaming in the way that they do now, I would have gone running to see what was wrong. Fallen in water ? Broken their leg ? Being abducted ? Likewise, with older girls late at night. Being robbed ? Being attacked ? Boyfriend being beaten up by a gang ?

Now, it wouldn't occur to me that the screamer was in distress (except perhaps right in the back of my mind as I come from a generation where it did mean something bad) and my normal reaction would be to ignore it. So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one is probably going to take any notice, and come running ... :-\

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

they'll get out their phone and tell Facebook all about it.

Reply to
charles

While using the camera to take the video for Youbend later.

Reply to
John Williamson

You are correct. Listen to this one scream.

Reply to
ARW

Sorry 27min 26 seconds.

Reply to
ARW

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Reply to
alan

Which you carry with you at all times to show to the police when they finally turn up and arrest you. Sorry, the cynicism pills are kicking in again.

I even worry about being on the bus with only one female passenger nowadays, and I'm normally in the cab behind a screen.

Reply to
John Williamson

However any mother can move a known violent drunk into her home and call him a step-day with no checks whatsoever!

On the subject of screaming, the youngest boy next door does it regularly because his older brother deliberately antagonises him by taking stuff away. His mother does absolutely nothing about it, so raising one bully and one victim.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Yes indeed. I once saw a kid fall off his bike. He was on the footpath of course and looked hurt. I did not know what to do, I dare not touch him. Fortunately a car driven by a nurse pulled up.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sorry. A child's needs will come before any concerns I may have on that front. (But yes I am enhanced-CRB checked.)

Reply to
usenet2013xxa

Normally it's squeals... I was going to say that the "I need help NOW!" scream (from male or female) is very different to play squeals or the "I'm wetting myself over that new handbag" screams of delight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sad but with some truth. Being a bloke (and not a priest) I'd slightly less concerned about helping a boy than I would a girl. Particularly if there were no other witnesses about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jeezsus that made me scream ..

Waay to young to be on the roads by themselves;!!!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes, I keep mine in my wallet.

Reply to
charles

snip

We hear them every time we are in the supermarket, from several aisles away, and they make my ears hurt. The wife scowls at them if she's close to them, and they shut up!

Reply to
Davey

Yes I know. Also why do people let their dogs rule them instead of the other way around? We have a couple around here that yap all the time and it seems the people who own them merely say, stop that charlie or whatever. I got so annoyed during the hot weather listening to theis ineffective interplay, that I walked down the garden to where the sound was coming from a couple of doors away, did my best dog bark sound, which paused tthe yapping staring in the general direction and said very firmly, charlie, no,.

Charlie went off and ran indoors. Nobody said a word to me. I guess that is any Christmas invite shot then.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was chaperoned when I changed the hand drier in the boys toilets in a school:-)

Reply to
ARW

So am I, and I wouldn't risk jeopardising that, so I will put my needs before a child's.

Owain

Reply to
stmarysview

Snip

I was in Asda, Crewe today, and some thick moron was actually encouraging her little entity to scream. Every yell was met with enthusiastic praise.

Personally I blame the health and safety culture. Antisocial morons like that wouldn't have lived long enough to breed at one time.

It's difficult to blame the parents really though, any kind of response to stimulii by their offspring probably merits a gold star in the family pizza menu.

AB

Reply to
Archibald

I hope that the child continues to scream and scream and scream all the way home and beyond, then maybe the parent might understand that it is not so wonderful after all. Or not.

Reply to
Davey